From: Hugh Jeego on

"Tom" <tclimb(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Hugh Jeego" <id(a)example.com> wrote in message
>> You didn't say what is taking the 2 hours - the download or the
>> processing. If the download, can you fix the speed?
>
> I did say processing and again in answer to an earlier thread.
> But never mind.

Didnt see it. Not all articles come through in newsgroups to all servers.

>> If the processing is bothering you, it is dead easy to go build an i5 or
>> i7 with DDR3 at large speeds and process the thing one hell of a lot
>> faster
> I am just an ordinary computer user. Do you mean build my own system
> and with what microprocessor and what speed? Please explain i5 and i7
> a bit more?

Yep. i5 and i7 are newer CPUs that beat the hell out of everything....at
least on Win 7 which takes much better account of their abilities.

>> before you get to that point, you say you have XP. I assume you have
>> service pack 3 by now?
> Nop, haven't gone beyond SP2. People say it is not worth it. What do you
> think?

SP3 did slow things down but then if you are happy with holes in your OS,
stick with SP2. Personally, I dont know all the things the better hackers
know so I try my best to stay updated.

>> If so, from XPSP3 onwards though it isn't really forced, for better
>> performance you NEED 1 gig ram at the minimum.
> Can't upgrade the 512Mg memory. It's a laptop- no space available.

That MAY be true but my laptop came with 2gigs ram and only 2 slots for ram
on it, 1gig sticks in each slot. I bought 2gig sticks and replaced the 1gig
sticks with them. It depends on what your laptop is as to whether you can
buy larger sticks but without any other info, all I can say is to check out
what sort of ram you have and ask around shops and such as to whether you
can buy larger sticks.

>> If you don't have that much, you are throttling your computer. Is your
>> computer possibly in need of having the heat sink checked on the CPU? Is
>> there dust visible through the CPU fan and is it thick?
> Had done the cleaning recently.

Also depends what you did. Another laptop tip - dont put it on a flat
surface and expect it to be OK all the time. Put it on a cake stand - the
sort that you put hot cakes on when you get them out of the oven in order to
cool off. They are basically wire grills. You get better flow through and
less heat build up. The hotter your computer gets, the slower it goes.