From: keithr on
On 16/02/2010 3:17 PM, Tom wrote:
> "keithr"<keithr(a)nowhere.com.au> wrote in message
>> On 16/02/2010 1:25 PM, Tom wrote:
>>> "keithr"<keithr(a)nowhere.com.au> wrote in message

>>> Yes.
>>>

>> I assume that yes means that you are using it for number crunching. It is
>> a most unsuitable tool for that use, it was devised to automate Office
>> tasks.
>>
>> If you really need your app to go faster then you only really have two
>> options, get the fastest clocked CPU that you can lay hands on,
>
> I thought of doing that.
>
>> multi-cores aren't going to help you at all, or rewrite the app in a more
>> suitable language.
>>
>> Almost any modern language would do a better job, but it would probably be
>> easiest to port your app to VB dot net. VB used to be something of a joke
>> but, in it's latest form, it is a reasonable language, object oriented and
>> capable of multi-threading to make use of multi-core CPUs. You can even
>> download a development environment and compiler from MickeySoft for free.
>
> Wow, that sounds interesting. http://mikisoft.co.cc/ Is that the link?
> Thanks.

try

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2008-Visual-Basic
From: Hugh Jeego on
You didn't say what is taking the 2 hours - the download or the processing.
If the download, can you fix the speed?

If the processing is bothering you, it is dead easy to go build an i5 or i7
with DDR3 at large speeds and process the thing one hell of a lot faster but
before you get to that point, you say you have XP. I assume you have service
pack 3 by now? If so, from XPSP3 onwards though it isn't really forced, for
better performance you NEED 1 gig ram at the minimum. If you don't have that
much, you are throttling your computer. Is your computer possibly in need of
having the heat sink checked on the CPU? Is there dust visible through the
CPU fan and is it thick? Possibly your computer is running hot and needs a
clean.

However, if it bothers you SO much, you may just consider my first
suggestion and have done with it in no time on Win 7.

From: Tom on

From: Tom on
"Hugh Jeego" <id(a)example.com> wrote in message
> You didn't say what is taking the 2 hours - the download or the
> processing. If the download, can you fix the speed?

I did say processing and again in answer to an earlier thread.
But never mind.

> If the processing is bothering you, it is dead easy to go build an i5 or
> i7 with DDR3 at large speeds and process the thing one hell of a lot
> faster
I am just an ordinary computer user. Do you mean build my own system
and with what microprocessor and what speed? Please explain i5 and i7
a bit more?

> before you get to that point, you say you have XP. I assume you have
> service pack 3 by now?
Nop, haven't gone beyond SP2. People say it is not worth it. What do you
think?

> If so, from XPSP3 onwards though it isn't really forced, for better
> performance you NEED 1 gig ram at the minimum.
Can't upgrade the 512Mg memory. It's a laptop- no space available.

> If you don't have that much, you are throttling your computer. Is your
> computer possibly in need of having the heat sink checked on the CPU? Is
> there dust visible through the CPU fan and is it thick?
Had done the cleaning recently.

From: Tom on
" Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF " <""thecamelhumper\"@kangarooistan.com.au
is a stupid arselifting troll ."> wrote in message
> Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> It seems VB can also support threads -
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=thread+visual+basic&revid=1312882487&ei=KlN7S7fcKM2TkAW8nPDDBA&sa=X&oi=revisions_inline&resnum=0&ct=broad-revision&cd=7&ved=0CEAQ1QIoBg&cts=1266373473285

Enough to get me going. Thanks mate!

Tom