From: WildLatin on
On Aug 19, 8:23 pm, Beverly Howard <B...(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> What os is it running???  for example, is it running windows mobile or
> windows ce?
>
> Beverly Howard

It is running XP-Pro downgraded from Vista- since my IT Dept doesn't
support Vista.
It is a dual-core processor - but not the fastest.
From: WildLatin on
On Aug 19, 8:26 pm, Beverly Howard <B...(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> The page athttp://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?s...
> seems to differ about it running windows XP-Tablet... think it's
> panasonic support time.
>
> Beverly Howard

I agree- it's very unclear that they only support the xp-tablet
additional functions for the digitizing screen- NOT the touch screen !

Here is a recent chat with
support...............................................

Thank you for choosing Panasonic Toughbook. A Tech Support
Representative will be with you shortly.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Jeff.

You: I have a CF-19 with touchscreen (not dual-touch digitizer).

Jeff: OL

Jeff: OK

You: I have XP-Pro (downgraded) but my rep tells me it won't run XP-
Tablet. So it's a Tablet-PC that won't do what tablets do ???

Jeff: One moment please while I find that information for you.

You: So... What are the specs for installing 'XP-Tablet
Additions' (additional features of XP-Pro only available from OEMs) on
CF-19 ?

Jeff: Is this a digitizer or a touchscreen?

You: It is a touchscreen.

Jeff: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Jeff: This unit will not have the complete functions as a Digitizer
has..

Jeff: Only touchscreen functions

You: But the XP-Tablet functions are like 'sticky notes', handwriting
recognition, etc.

You: Bottom Line: I want to TRY it but my rep says they can't install
it.

Jeff: the handwriting recognition is with a utility call panasonic
handwriting utility.

Jeff: No xp tablet can not be loaded onto this unit.

Jeff: This is not the tablet version

Jeff: Windows xp tablet will only work correctly on the Digitizer.

You: This is very unclear and misleading in Panasonic's advertising
and info on the CF-19 Toughbook. It says over and over about Tablet
Function ! What good is tablet-like without the software !

Jeff: I understand William but your rep is correct.

You: Haven't others encountered this confusion?

Jeff: I am not aware if they have or not William.

Jeff: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

You: What about upgrades from Vista to Win7?

Jeff: We have not implemented any upgrades from vista to windows 7 yet
William.

You: Most other manufacturers have published a policy for recently-
purchased PCs and Win7. Isn't Panasonic going to follow?

Jeff: Tech support have not gotten this information yet...but as soon
as we do I am sure it will be made public.
From: Beverly Howard on
I have to assume you installed generic XP-Pro rather than the tablet
edition...

Your _only_ option is to escalate a support call to the point where you
can downgrade or purchase xppro-tablet _from panasonic_ as the os cannot
be purchased by the end user... in addition, the tablet related drivers
are critical.

Again, that is your _only_ option to regain the tablet functionality
under xppro.

Beverly Howard
From: WildLatin on
On Aug 20, 2:28 pm, Beverly Howard <B...(a)NoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote:
> I have to assume you installed generic XP-Pro rather than the tablet
> edition...
>
> Your _only_ option is to escalate a support call to the point where you
> can downgrade or purchase xppro-tablet _from panasonic_ as the os cannot
> be purchased by the end user... in addition, the tablet related drivers
> are critical.
>
> Again, that is your _only_ option to regain the tablet functionality
> under xppro.
>
> Beverly Howard

I actually installed nothing so far... the machine CAME downgraded to
XP-Pro from Vista Ultimate or some other variant of Vista (forgot).

What I am saying is that Panasonic's policy is to INSTALL or give out
those precious OEM-Only drivers ONLY on machines with (the $400
extra) DIGITIZER displays- NOT TOUCH SCREEN.

*** Does anyone know if there is a REAL justification for this?

*** Can the XP-Tablet OS NOT RUN on a (resistance panel?) touch
screen?

I appreciate your input, Beverly. You are talking like you have had
experience in this 'escalating a support call' process?

So far my requests have met with a pretty firm "No, that cannot be
done...".
From: Sven on
That closing comment is very typical for tech support. They are not
generally kept in the loop for product news, upgrades, policies, etc. They
pretty much are limited to having access to what is current. They are
primarily there to support current customers, expected to be running current
products.