From: David Ruether on

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> David Ruether wrote:

>> as I have pointed out earlier, with ever narrower angles of view, ALL the
>> several perspective *types* approach each other in appearance. You ["NH"] are confusing the "look" of a photograph with the
>> definition of "perspective",
>> and leaving out defining "angle of view". For more, see --
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/lens_perspective_types.htm
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/lens-angle-of-view-and-perspective.htm
>> http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/seeing_and_perspective.htm http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/lens_distortion_types.htm

>>> This seems like mostly an argument about semantics but here's an example that supports the idea of real differences in wide
>>> angle 'perspective'.

>> Um, best to correct that to "angle of view"...;-)

> OK, "angle of view" is a better term. Semantics solved! :-)
> http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Adonferrario.com+angle+of+view

8^)

>> Thanks for that drawing for my article.;-) It also clearly shows that within
>> planes parallel with the sensor plane (with rectangular perspective) that
>> there is no "distortion" no mater how wide the angle of view is.

> Well, there is distortion in the egg shaped silhouette of the sphere because it's at the far corner of a super-wide. If you swing
> the same lens around to center the sphere, it'll have a round outline again. The topographical lines parallel to the image plane
> are perfect circles though.

More than this is that the axes running through the parallel-plane-cut
sections of all the hemispheres are on the vanishing lines/point for the
rectangular perspective, so there really is no "distortion", although there
may be "unfamiliar visual effects due to viewing 3D objects imaged
near the edges of a wide angle of view" since the "stacking" of their
sections on the off-axis vanishing lines will cause offsets that change
the overall shape of the 3D object...
--DR

From: Neil Harrington on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
> []
>> I don't know about Greek, and I don't know whether "camera oscura" is
>> still current in Italian. But it is still called a camera obscura today,
>> within the last few decades there were still several in operation and my
>> guess is they still are. They are fascinating devices in the modern form,
>> and at least one was built in a rotating tower so that it could scan a
>> good part of the local town That one used a reflex system which projected
>> the image down onto a large flat table.
>
> We have one locally in Edinburgh, for example:
>
> http://camera-obscura.co.uk/camera_obscura/camera_obscura.asp
>
> Cheers,
> David

Yes! Remarkable! I'd never heard of that one.

From: Neil Harrington on

> "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote in message
> []
>> Can you explain that a little more? Or direct me to a source? I'm having
>> a problem grasping that "reversed perspective" and "telecentric"
>> business. It looks very interesting but I'm really floundering here.
>
> See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecentric_lens
>
> For digital use, the idea is that the rays from the lens hit the sensor at
> a vertical angle of incidence, thus reducing the variations in the image
> due to any variations of the sensor with angle of incidence. Some

Yes, that principle I'm familiar with.

> manufacturers claim their lenses are "telecentric", but whether they
> actually work any better in a system I don't know. A pointer to
> comparative tests would be helpful.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks for the link, David. It's something I'm going to have to read over
carefully before I really understand it.

From: Neil Harrington on

> David Ruether wrote:

>> No! See my post, above (or read some of it in "PF's" post, since
>> you "plonked" me (and I see your posts also only in "PFs" posts...;-).
>> Again, "perspective" is defined by the lens perspective type, and
>> by NOTHING else.

This is confusing. David seems to be addressing me, but he's replying to a
statement by you.

>> I have pointed out that last a few times before - that within ever
>> narrowing
>> angles, the appearance of the various lens types approach each other, but
>> do not ever really become the same. The perspective is defined by the
>> type the lens makes use of, and nothing else, contrary to your opinion.
>> But it does look like you [NH] are making progress...;-)

Nothing has changed in my opinion about any of the above, so DR's seeing my
"progress" here seems to be his developing understanding of my position.

I am going to un-plonk David to make this discussion easier. If I can figure
out how to do that. There must be a list of killfiled people here somewhere
but I don't think I've ever taken anybody off it before. . . . Dang, I hope
I haven't just plonked Paul.

[ . . . ]