From: RichA on
I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns
out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The
whole lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front
element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera. But I've seen this before
on optics. How can anyone do this to a camera?
From: Val Hallah on
On Aug 8, 5:56 am, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one.  I noticed the lens
> had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
> usually brown-purple.  At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
> tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off."  Turns
> out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue.  The
> whole lens was coated with it.  When I cleaned the entire front
> element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
> It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
> of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
> I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera.  But I've seen this before
> on optics.  How can anyone do this to a camera?

or their lungs.....
From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> saying
something like:

>I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
>had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
>usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
>tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns
>out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The
>whole lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front
>element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
>It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
>of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
>I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera. But I've seen this before
>on optics. How can anyone do this to a camera?

Vandal!
You've destroyed many years of patina, puffed out by tens of thousands
of cigarettes and the cost of many thousands of dollars.
That nicotine coating was responsible for the prize-winning portraiture
that lens could make.

I might be kidding about that, but bear in mind the ancient lenses of
the brass'nglass age acquired a patina after some years, leading to
better performance, and guess what? many of their owners and subjects
smoked like chimneys.
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:41:51 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
<grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:

>We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>drugs began to take hold. I remember RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> saying
>something like:
>
>>I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
>>had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
>>usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
>>tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns
>>out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The
>>whole lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front
>>element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
>>It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
>>of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
>>I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera. But I've seen this before
>>on optics. How can anyone do this to a camera?
>
>Vandal!
>You've destroyed many years of patina, puffed out by tens of thousands
>of cigarettes and the cost of many thousands of dollars.
>That nicotine coating was responsible for the prize-winning portraiture
>that lens could make.

Exactly. The original owner was renowned for his portraiture using a
nicotine density filter.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: George Kerby on

On 8/8/10 3:16 PM, in article l14u561sqcc6tp1jfdiq86lvrm4kjqrhtc(a)4ax.com,
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:41:51 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
> <grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> saying
>> something like:
>>
>>> I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
>>> had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
>>> usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
>>> tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns
>>> out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The
>>> whole lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front
>>> element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
>>> It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
>>> of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
>>> I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera. But I've seen this before
>>> on optics. How can anyone do this to a camera?
>>
>> Vandal!
>> You've destroyed many years of patina, puffed out by tens of thousands
>> of cigarettes and the cost of many thousands of dollars.
>> That nicotine coating was responsible for the prize-winning portraiture
>> that lens could make.
>>

> Exactly. The original owner was renowned for his portraiture using a
> nicotine density filter.

Sepia prints w/o all the work!