From: ray on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:56:34 -0700, RichA wrote:

> I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
> had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
> usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
> tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns out,
> the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The whole
> lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front element
> surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed. It took
> an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back of the lens
> were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body. I'm glad I didn't
> have to see the camera. But I've seen this before on optics. How can
> anyone do this to a camera?

IMHO - the ones who should be "taken out and shot" are those who ask:
"should all <fill in the blank> be taken out and shot". What a person
does with his own personal property and/or his own body is his business -
not yours.
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-08 13:16:00 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:41:51 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
> <grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
>> drugs began to take hold. I remember RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> saying
>> something like:
>>
>>> I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
>>> had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
>>> usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
>>> tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns
>>> out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The
>>> whole lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front
>>> element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
>>> It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
>>> of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
>>> I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera. But I've seen this before
>>> on optics. How can anyone do this to a camera?
>>
>> Vandal!
>> You've destroyed many years of patina, puffed out by tens of thousands
>> of cigarettes and the cost of many thousands of dollars.
>> That nicotine coating was responsible for the prize-winning portraiture
>> that lens could make.
>>

> Exactly. The original owner was renowned for his portraiture using a
> nicotine density filter.

So that is what ND means!
I guess it provides a "smokey haze" effect.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Nervous Nick on
On Aug 8, 3:16 pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:41:51 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
>

> <grimly4REM...(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote:
> >We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> >drugs began to take hold. I remember RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> saying
> >something like:
>
> >>I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one.  I noticed the lens
> >>had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
> >>usually brown-purple.  At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
> >>tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off."  Turns
> >>out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue.  The
> >>whole lens was coated with it.  When I cleaned the entire front
> >>element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
> >>It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
> >>of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
> >>I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera.  But I've seen this before
> >>on optics.  How can anyone do this to a camera?
>
> >Vandal!
> >You've destroyed many years of patina, puffed out by tens of thousands
> >of cigarettes and the cost of many thousands of dollars.
> >That nicotine coating was responsible for the prize-winning portraiture
> >that lens could make.
>
> Exactly.  The original owner was renowned for his portraiture using a
> nicotine density filter.

NICE!

TFTL.

--
YOP...

From: RichA on
On Aug 8, 4:55 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:56:34 -0700, RichA wrote:
> > I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one.  I noticed the lens
> > had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
> > usually brown-purple.  At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
> > tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off."  Turns out,
> > the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue.  The whole
> > lens was coated with it.  When I cleaned the entire front element
> > surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed. It took
> > an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back of the lens
> > were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body. I'm glad I didn't
> > have to see the camera.  But I've seen this before on optics.  How can
> > anyone do this to a camera?
>
> IMHO - the ones who should be "taken out and shot" are those who ask:
> "should all <fill in the blank> be taken out and shot". What a person
> does with his own personal property and/or his own body is his business -
> not yours.

It is if I'm buy it and am not warned beforehand. How do you think it
would sell on Ebay:
"One prime lens in good condition, except it's covered with YEARS of
tobacco smoke residue."
From: Allen on
ray wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:56:34 -0700, RichA wrote:
>
>> I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
>> had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
>> usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
>> tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns out,
>> the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The whole
>> lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front element
>> surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed. It took
>> an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back of the lens
>> were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body. I'm glad I didn't
>> have to see the camera. But I've seen this before on optics. How can
>> anyone do this to a camera?
>
> IMHO - the ones who should be "taken out and shot" are those who ask:
> "should all <fill in the blank> be taken out and shot". What a person
> does with his own personal property and/or his own body is his business -
> not yours.
Wouldn't it be easier just to take RichA out and shoot him? Just one
bullet needed, but to be on the safe side perhaps a wooden stake would
be better.
Allen