From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:59:12 -0500, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:38:16 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>You can't if you aren't told.
>>
>> The whole concept of "caveat emptor" is that you should not expect to
>> be told. That's why you should beware.
>>

>In other words, never buy anything sight unseen or only from sources you
>know won't burn you. But since you can't buy anything sight unseen in the
>beginning how can you ever trust anyone to be able to buy? For me, no
>problem in most cases as I live near stores that carry a lot of
>photographic equipment. But for someone who is looking for something not
>readily available locally, they need the seller to be upfront about the
>condition of a product.

Now that's funny. Back in my SLR days I had just purchased my new OM2n.
About 2 months later I was going to go on a photo trek (quick last-minute
decision) and wanted a nice compact zoom with macro for the type of field
work I do in remote regions. I looked at a Sigma 39-80mm f/3.5 he had in
the display cabinet. Just about fitting my needs I decided to buy one. (I
have it in my hand now to get the specs off of it.) He got nice new
factory-sealed box from the store-room. I jumped back in the 4W camper and
headed for the roads. Later when I got out into the field I found that one
of the internal lens elements deep within the optical path had a nasty haze
of oil-spray on it, robbing everything of contrast and clarity, even in the
viewfinder. Luckily for me I have no qualms about opening up a lens and
cleaning it in the field, even to that degree of disassembly. After
cleaning it performed very well, so I kept it.

So going on this experience, I should *NEVER* buy from any reputable camera
dealer as well. Especially factory-sealed equipment.

LOL!

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:48:28 -0400, Robert Haar <bobhaar(a)me.com> wrote:

>On 8/9/10 7:17 AM, "gamer_reg(a)yahoo.com" <gamer_reg(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:56:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> How can anyone do this to a camera?
>>
>> How you ask?
>>
>> Because it's THEIR camera.
>>
>> They bought and paid for it and how they use and treat it is their
>> choice just as how you use and treat your camera is your choice.
>>
>> Do you have a problem with free choice?
>

>No. Do you have a problem with honesty? If the previous owner chooses to
>smoke, that is his free choice. But if he sells it, the hidden defect of
>the accumulated smoke exposure should be revealed. Otherwise he is
>misleading prospective buyers.

So why are you morons bitching to us instead of the seller? Trolling for
attention?

From: ray on
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:59:12 -0500, Rich wrote:

> tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:38:16 -0700 (PDT), Rich <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>You can't if you aren't told.
>>
>> The whole concept of "caveat emptor" is that you should not expect to
>> be told. That's why you should beware.
>>

> In other words, never buy anything sight unseen or only from sources you
> know won't burn you. But since you can't buy anything sight unseen in
> the beginning how can you ever trust anyone to be able to buy? For me,
> no problem in most cases as I live near stores that carry a lot of
> photographic equipment. But for someone who is looking for something
> not readily available locally, they need the seller to be upfront about
> the condition of a product.

Part of "Caveat Emptor" is knowing your sources.
From: Peter on
"N" <N(a)onyx.com> wrote in message

> <gamer_reg(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:56:34 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I picked up a prime lens today, an older used one. I noticed the lens
>>>had a light blue coating, which was odd as this prime's coatings are
>>>usually brown-purple. At home, I gave the lens a swipe with a lens
>>>tissue, and it looked like part of the coating "rubbed off." Turns
>>>out, the lens was covered in a layer of tobacco smoke residue. The
>>>whole lens was coated with it. When I cleaned the entire front
>>>element surface, sure enough, the correct coating colour was revealed.
>>>It took an hour to clean the thing. Luckily, the inside and the back
>>>of the lens were ok, likely because it was inside the camera body.
>>>I'm glad I didn't have to see the camera. But I've seen this before
>>>on optics. How can anyone do this to a camera?
>>
>> How you ask?
>>
>> Because it's THEIR camera.
>>
>> They bought and paid for it and how they use and treat it is their
>> choice just as how you use and treat your camera is your choice.
>>
>> Do you have a problem with free choice?
>
> If you sell your house, you are required to clean it when vacating.

You are not, unless your agreement of sale requires it.
If I am wrong tell me what law requires it.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
> On 2010-08-09 08:44:46 -0700, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) said:
>
>> In article
>> <b12da5d7-73db-47f8-8658-a0b1e3d44ef0(a)l20g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, Rich
>> <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Even if it isn't a requirement to clean it, you are required to inform
>>> the buyer if something is going to intefere with the enjoyment or use
>>> of the property, like the presence of black mold. At least you are in
>>> Canada, I don't know about the U.S.
>>
>> Most all houses have mold.
>>
>> greg
>
> Where do you live?
> Mold is the least of my problems in my hot and dry local climate.
>
> Cleaning the house before sale, is not a requirement, but it might be a
> good idea in what is a buyers market. Though some foreclosure sales of
> trashed homes have to be made with damage disclosures or the selling bank
> can have liability issues.
>
> ...and disclosure laws apply in California, and I am sure they do in the
> other states.

Disclosure of defect <> leaving old furniture and garbage in the house.

The typical language in a contract of sale requires the premises to be
delivered: "vacant and broom clean, in it's current state and condition,
reasonable wear and tear excepted."
Absent such a clause the seller can leave old furniture and dust bunnies all
over the house.
--
Peter