From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:57:23 -0400, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>

>> A valuable lesson learned with my own material.
>>
>> Hoisted on my own petard so to speak. ;-)
>>

>According to my understanding it means you smelled your own farts.
>
>http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petard

Note that the actual phrase is "hoist with one's own petard". "With",
not "on". The exploding bomb hoists one.

Shakespeare used the phrase in "Hamlet", but it's spelled "petar" in
some versions of the work.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Note that the actual phrase is "hoist with one's own petard". "With",
> not "on". The exploding bomb hoists one.

Only if it explodes under you. If the explosion is above, foist it would
flatten you.

--
Peter

From: J. Clarke on
On 8/10/2010 7:52 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 09:57:23 -0400, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "Savageduck"<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> A valuable lesson learned with my own material.
>>>
>>> Hoisted on my own petard so to speak. ;-)
>>>

>> According to my understanding it means you smelled your own farts.
>>
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petard
>
> Note that the actual phrase is "hoist with one's own petard". "With",
> not "on". The exploding bomb hoists one.
>
> Shakespeare used the phrase in "Hamlet", but it's spelled "petar" in
> some versions of the work.

Spelling in those days was individualistic--you spelled the word however
looked right to you. The first attempt at an English dictionary was
written when Shakespeare was in his 40s and nobody paid much attention
to it.
From: Neil Harrington on

I'm not seeing anything that isn't there. Read what I said again:

>> I don't. I also don't read Italian, which is what that text appears to be
>> in. But in any case, the illustration in that article is of a camera
>> obscura. (With a "b.")

The root of the word is the Latin "obscurus," meaning dark. The illustration
is of what is commonly called a camera obscura. "Camera" means chamber, or
room. A darkened room was necessary for the use of that device.

And I repeat: the text that you think is Latin appears to be Italian.
Italian is not Latin.

From: Neil Harrington on

> In article <2010081011344922503-savageduck1(a)REMOVESPAMmecom>,
> Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-10 11:14:04 -0700, Shiva Das <shiv(a)nataraja.invalid> said:

>> > Now you are seeing the letter "B" where it isn't. The page has the word
>> > "Oscura" six times and the word "Obscura" zero times.
>> >
>> > 'Nuff said.
>>
>> You are taking "oscura" from an old latin document, and it may well
>> have been the correct term when that document was drafted. However
>> check; < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura > and I think you
>> will find your usage is the "obscure" and less commonly used one.
>
> Oh I agree completely that it is the archaic Latin version, [ . . . ]

Italian is not "archaic Latin."