From: Peter on

> A valuable lesson learned with my own material.
>
> Hoisted on my own petard so to speak. ;-)

According to my understanding it means you smelled your own farts.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petard

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"David Ruether" <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote in message

> Ah, but the brain *doesn't* correct it to rectilinear perspective!
> THAT'S what's so much fun to show people (that the way they
> think they see isn't the way they really do see...;-).

IIRC There have been some experiments where people were fitted with prism
glasses to make everything appear upside down. The glasses were left on for
some period of time. After a while the upside down illusion corrected itself
and when the glasses were removed, everything appeared upside down again.
I am going from memory and too lazy to find the paper.

<good stuff snipped>

--
Peter

From: Ryan McGinnis on
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-10 06:57:23 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>

>> A valuable lesson learned with my own material.
>>
>> Hoisted on my own petard so to speak. ;-)
>>

> According to my understanding it means you smelled your own farts.
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petard

Um ...er.
now is the time to declare Reductio ad absurdum, especially when the
actual definition of the figure of speech is contained in your
reference.

"1. (Military / Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) (formerly) a
device containing explosives used to breach a wall, doors, etc.
hoist with one's own petard being the victim of one's own schemes
3. (Military / Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a type of
explosive firework
[from French: firework, from péter to break wind, from Latin pēdere]"

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Peter on
> On 2010-08-10 06:57:23 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> A valuable lesson learned with my own material.
>>>
>>> Hoisted on my own petard so to speak. ;-)
>>>

>> According to my understanding it means you smelled your own farts.
>>
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/petard
>
> Um ...er.
> now is the time to declare Reductio ad absurdum, especially when the
> actual definition of the figure of speech is contained in your reference.

As with most figures of speech. <G>

--
Peter