From: Bruce on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 02:31:13 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>A valuable lesson learned with my own material.
>
>Hoisted on my own petard so to speak. ;-)

You are being too hard on yourself.

In terms of your own practical ability, I don't think anyone needs to
teach you much about perspective. ;-)

From: bugbear on
Savageduck wrote:

>> I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
>> top of the first:
>>
>> http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg
>>
>> Perspective is unchanged.
>
> Damn! I should have thought of doing that.
>
> So it seems the eye is easily fooled by focal length changes. Thanks for
> the proof you provided, I kind of takes the wind out of my sails, but
> there it is.

Here's all of the above, all mixed up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom

BugBear
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-09 06:22:13 -0700, bugbear <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>>>
>>> I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
>>> top of the first:
>>>
>>> http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg
>>>
>>> Perspective is unchanged.
>>
>> Damn! I should have thought of doing that.
>>
>> So it seems the eye is easily fooled by focal length changes. Thanks
>> for the proof you provided, It kind of takes the wind out of my sails,
>> but there it is.
>
> Here's all of the above, all mixed up
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom
>
> BugBear

That really does mess with perspective due to the changing
camera/subject distance.
Now that would really have been a problem for me since my idea was to
keep the camera/subject distance constant to see if there is a
perspective change due to focal length change.
....and my own shots have proved to me that there is no perspective
change due to focal length change.
It is a good thing I wasn't able to finance a major production,
complete with track and a dolly zoom pull crew. I would still be trying
to figure it out. ;-)

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: David Ruether on

> On 2010-08-08 18:27:40 -0700, "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit(a)or-this-csas.net.au> said:

>> I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
>> top of the first:
>>
>> http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg
>>
>> Perspective is unchanged.

> Damn! I should have thought of doing that.
>
> So it seems the eye is easily fooled by focal length changes. Thanks for the proof you provided, I kind of takes the wind out of
> my sails, but there it is.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

This shows that there actually *is* one more ingredient to the
conditions-list, the specification of sensor size relative to FL,
which then gives angle of view and an indication of what
perspective "look" might be expected. As I pointed out before,
a 10mm lens (for instance) can be a super-wide on one format,
and a tele on another format with a much smaller sensor...
--DR

From: Neil Harrington on

"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:43:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
> <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Yes, that is the classic method of demonstrating that perspective is
>>> independent of focal length.
>>>
>>> It is to be found in many books on photography, yet people still keep
>>> making the same mistake over and over again, thinking that perspective
>>> is dependent on focal length.
>>
>>But perspective *is* largely dependent on focal length.
>>
>>The the other poster mentioned ". . . how focal length and distance affect
>>perspective."
>>
>>Focal length is not "irrelevant." Both are important: focal length *and*
>>camera position. A shot taken with a wide-angle lens has wide-angle
>>perspective, which (assuming there are enough objects arranged in the
>>scene
>>to establish perspective at all) is easily recognized by anyone looking at
>>the resulting photo. To say that focal length is irrelevant is to deny
>>what
>>anyone can see with his own eyes.
>>
>>(Sorry for being more than a week late in replying to this, but I only saw
>>the thread just now. The misunderstanding is important enough to correct.
>>The "many books" that support the idea are mistaken, as are the several
>>people who have repeated it over the years.)
>

> The "misunderstanding" is entirely yours, Neil. It is a very common
> misunderstanding. However, it doesn't matter how many people repeat
> it, nor how many times, it is still wrong. There is no such thing as
> "wide angle perspective".

Are you really telling me that you can look at a photo of, say, an interior,
taken with a 20mm (equiv.) lens, and NOT be able to tell BY THE PERSPECTIVE
that it was taken with a wide angle lens?

Again, to deny this is simply to deny the evidence of your own eyes.

> Perspective is purely a function of viewpoint and its relationship
> with the subject. The focal length of the lens is irrelevant.

Simply not true. Yes, I have seen all the alleged "proofs" of this fallacy
and it remains a fallacy.