From: Mike Warren on
Savageduck wrote:

>On 2010-08-08 16:37:50 -0700, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:
>
>>On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:43:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
>><nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>But perspective is largely dependent on focal length.
>>>
>>>The the other poster mentioned ". . . how focal length and distance
>>>affect
>>>perspective."
>>>
>>>Focal length is not "irrelevant." Both are important: focal length and
>>>camera position. A shot taken with a wide-angle lens has wide-angle
>>>perspective, which (assuming there are enough objects arranged in the
>>>scene
>>>to establish perspective at all) is easily recognized by anyone looking
>>>at
>>>the resulting photo. To say that focal length is irrelevant is to deny
>>>what
>>>anyone can see with his own eyes.
>>>
>>>(Sorry for being more than a week late in replying to this, but I only
>>>saw
>>>the thread just now. The misunderstanding is important enough to correct.
>>>The "many books" that support the idea are mistaken, as are the several
>>>people who have repeated it over the years.)
>>

>>The "misunderstanding" is entirely yours, Neil. It is a very common
>>misunderstanding. However, it doesn't matter how many people repeat
>>it, nor how many times, it is still wrong. There is no such thing as
>>"wide angle perspective".
>>
>>Perspective is purely a function of viewpoint and its relationship
>>with the subject. The focal length of the lens is irrelevant.
>>

>OK.
>I tried the following;
>D300s on tripod 2 shots, position of tripod unchanged, aim point
>unchanged, distance between camera and subject constant, lenses changed,
>EXIF included;
>
>Shot #1 Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 @ 11mm (16mm FF equiv.)
>< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC3876w.jpg >
>
>Shot #2 Nikkor 16-200mm VRII @ 35mm (52mm FF equiv.)
>< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC3877w.jpg >
>
>Side by-side comparison;
>< http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Merc-comp-01.jpg >
>
>It is tough to say that that this is not a demonstration of focal length
>perspective change.
>The view point is constant, the relationship between the subject (the car)
>and the camera remains unchanged. Yet the eye tells the viewer there is a
>dramatic change in perspective, in this case created entirely by a change
>of focal length.

I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
top of the first:

http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg

Perspective is unchanged.

--
- Mike
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-08-08 18:27:40 -0700, "Mike Warren"
<miwa-not-this-bit(a)or-this-csas.net.au> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-08 16:37:50 -0700, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:

>>> The "misunderstanding" is entirely yours, Neil. It is a very common
>>> misunderstanding. However, it doesn't matter how many people repeat
>>> it, nor how many times, it is still wrong. There is no such thing as
>>> "wide angle perspective".
>>>
>>> Perspective is purely a function of viewpoint and its relationship
>>> with the subject. The focal length of the lens is irrelevant.
>>>

>> OK.
>> I tried the following;
>> D300s on tripod 2 shots, position of tripod unchanged, aim point
>> unchanged, distance between camera and subject constant, lenses
>> changed, EXIF included;
>>
>> Shot #1 Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 @ 11mm (16mm FF equiv.)
>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC3876w.jpg >
>>
>> Shot #2 Nikkor 16-200mm VRII @ 35mm (52mm FF equiv.)
>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/_DNC3877w.jpg >
>>
>> Side by-side comparison;
>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Merc-comp-01.jpg >
>>
>> It is tough to say that that this is not a demonstration of focal
>> length perspective change.
>> The view point is constant, the relationship between the subject (the
>> car) and the camera remains unchanged. Yet the eye tells the viewer
>> there is a dramatic change in perspective, in this case created
>> entirely by a change of focal length.
>

> I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
> top of the first:
>
> http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg
>
> Perspective is unchanged.

Damn! I should have thought of doing that.

So it seems the eye is easily fooled by focal length changes. Thanks
for the proof you provided, I kind of takes the wind out of my sails,
but there it is.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Mike Warren on
Savageduck wrote:

>>I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
>>top of the first:
>>
>>http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg
>>
>>Perspective is unchanged.
>
>Damn! I should have thought of doing that.
>
>So it seems the eye is easily fooled by focal length changes. Thanks for
>the proof you provided, I kind of takes the wind out of my sails, but
>there it is.

I think the confusion comes about because if you were to take a picture of
a subject with a particular lens and then wanted the subject to be the same
size in the frame with a wider angle lens, you would need to move closer
to the subject. Moving will change the perspective.

--
- Mike
From: David J Taylor on
[]
> Damn! I should have thought of doing that.
>
> So it seems the eye is easily fooled by focal length changes. Thanks for
> the proof you provided, I kind of takes the wind out of my sails, but
> there it is.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

But you are correct that the resulting image /looks/ different, although
the change is not because of a perspective change as such, but because of
a field of view change. I.e. a narrow-angle shot looks different to a
wide angle shot, perhaps because of the amount of included material and
the context of a part of the image compared to the rest of the image.

Cheers,
David

From: Bruce on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 01:27:40 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Warren"
<miwa-not-this-bit(a)or-this-csas.net.au> wrote:
>I just performed a simple resize of the second image and laid it on
>top of the first:
>
>http://www.mike-warren.net/play/savageduck.jpg
>
>Perspective is unchanged.

Exactly right. You are someone who understands perspective.

All the wide angle lens does is include more in the shot. Of course
that is precisely why it is called a "wide angle" lens.