From: Neil Harrington on

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> []
>> What you are calling a "wide angle perspective" is actually a "wide angle
>> view". If you had obtained the same change of "view" with a 50mm prime,
>> by moving the camera away from the subject, there should have been a
>> change in perspective along with the change in view.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> That's an excellent term, thank you.

The problem with "wide angle view" is that it doesn't really convey the same
information at all. Consider some shot of a distant horizon. If there's
nothing else in the picture to serve as a clue, it's likely to be impossible
to tell whether it was taken with a wide lens or a long one. So it may be a
wide angle view, or it may not, and one might look at the picture for years
and never be able to tell. Such a picture has for all practical purposes
*no* perspective.

With the short-lens shot of Duck's car, though, one instantly sees that it's
taken with a very wide-angle lens, and what announces this is the unusual
perspective.

From: Truman on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:06:07 -0400, "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net>
wrote:

>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:43:55 -0400, "Neil Harrington"
>> <nobody(a)homehere.net> wrote:
>>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>But perspective *is* largely dependent on focal length.
>>>
>>>The the other poster mentioned ". . . how focal length and distance affect
>>>perspective."
>>>
>>>Focal length is not "irrelevant." Both are important: focal length *and*
>>>camera position. A shot taken with a wide-angle lens has wide-angle
>>>perspective, which (assuming there are enough objects arranged in the
>>>scene
>>>to establish perspective at all) is easily recognized by anyone looking at
>>>the resulting photo. To say that focal length is irrelevant is to deny
>>>what
>>>anyone can see with his own eyes.
>>>
>>>(Sorry for being more than a week late in replying to this, but I only saw
>>>the thread just now. The misunderstanding is important enough to correct.
>>>The "many books" that support the idea are mistaken, as are the several
>>>people who have repeated it over the years.)
>>

>> The "misunderstanding" is entirely yours, Neil. It is a very common
>> misunderstanding. However, it doesn't matter how many people repeat
>> it, nor how many times, it is still wrong. There is no such thing as
>> "wide angle perspective".
>
>Are you really telling me that you can look at a photo of, say, an interior,
>taken with a 20mm (equiv.) lens, and NOT be able to tell BY THE PERSPECTIVE
>that it was taken with a wide angle lens?
>
>Again, to deny this is simply to deny the evidence of your own eyes.
>

>> Perspective is purely a function of viewpoint and its relationship
>> with the subject. The focal length of the lens is irrelevant.
>
>Simply not true. Yes, I have seen all the alleged "proofs" of this fallacy
>and it remains a fallacy.

I hate to break it to all of you (no I don't), but all of you are right,
and all of you are wrong.

perspective noun [MF, prob. modif. of OIt prospettiva, fr. prospetto view,
prospect, fr. L prospectus � more at prospect] (1563)
1 a : the technique or process of representing on a plane or curved
surface the spatial relation of objects as they might appear to the eye;
specif : representation in a drawing or painting of parallel lines as
converging in order to give the illusion of depth and distance
b : a picture in perspective
2 a : the interrelation in which a subject or its parts are mentally
viewed <places the issues in proper perspective>; also : point of view
b : the capacity to view things in their true relations or relative
importance <urge you to maintain your perspective and to view your own task
in a larger framework � W. J. Cohen>
3 a : a visible scene; esp : one giving a distinctive impression of
distance : vista
b : a mental view or prospect <to gain a broader perspective on the
international scene � Current Biog.>
4 : the appearance to the eye of objects in respect to their relative
distance and positions
per�spec�tiv�al \per-"spek-ti-vel, 'per-(')spek-"ti-vel\ adjective

(C)1996 Zane Publishing, Inc. and Merriam-Webster, Incorporated. All
rights reserved.

Just think, how many photo opportunities you've all missed while arguing
about it. More than you've missed by changing lenses.

From: Neil Harrington on

> On 2010-08-09 10:04:14 -0700, "Neil Harrington" <nobody(a)homehere.net>
> said:
>

>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> On 2010-08-09 06:22:13 -0700, bugbear
>>> <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>

>>> That really does mess with perspective due to the changing
>>> camera/subject
>>> distance.
>>> Now that would really have been a problem for me since my idea was to
>>> keep
>>> the camera/subject distance constant to see if there is a perspective
>>> change due to focal length change.
>>
>> And there was.
>>
>>> ...and my own shots have proved to me that there is no perspective
>>> change
>>> due to focal length change.
>>
>> No, what was proved to you was "that there is no perspective change" OF
>> THAT
>> SMALL PART OF THE PICTURE. How could there be?
>>
>> Look at it this way: Suppose you just used one zoom lens and changed from
>> its shortest focal length to its longest, changing nothing else. At the
>> shortest f.l. (assuming a wide-to-tele zoom) the picture would have the
>> familiar wide-angle perspective. As you zoomed in, you would just be
>> progressively magnifying the central part of the picture -- so the
>> perspective OF THAT PART could not possibly change.
>>
>> That is essentially the same thing Mike's resizing part of your second
>> photo
>> has done.
>>
>> Again: perspective is something that involves the entire picture. That is
>> why the various "proofs" that perspective depends solely on camera
>> position
>> are fallacious -- all such "proofs" that I have seen involve using
>> smaller
>> parts of the picture which have their own, different perspective.
>
> I think the problem is we each have our own interpretation, or
> misinterpretation of "perspective" and/or view.
> I have always thought of change of perspective to be relative to position
> of view point or camera.

It is. But my point is that isn't the *only* thing that bears on
perspective.

> For example using the classic vanishing point lines of convergence an
> artist might use, the perspective remains constant at all points between
> those converging lines. That is effectively what happens with a zoom lens
> changing FL. Move the camera, or view point laterally and there is a
> change in perspective. Taking shot down a set of parallel railroad tracks
> will show a converging vanishing point. Change the FL of that shot, and
> the vanishing point remains the same, but the view has changed. Now move
> the camera laterally and the perspective can be changed until all that is
> seen is the side of a single rail.

Yes. But the perspective can be changed even without moving the camera.

Suppose for one example a similar situation, a shot down a long straight
hallway with a flat wall at the end, and a sign painted on the wall (which
is of course perpendicular to the lens axis). With no other features in the
scene but the straight parallel lines between floor, walls and ceiling,
zooming down the hallway indeed would not change the perspective in any
visible way. This is assuming there are absolutely NO other features in the
hallway. The only elements that can provide perspective are those four
parallel lines all converging on a vanishing point. But if zoomed in to the
point that only the flat wall and sign were visible, all perspective would
disappear, since a flat perpendicular surface can provide no perspective.

Now suppose the same situation but with pictures painted on the walls all
the way down. In this case the perspective *would* change as the lens was
zoomed in. At the short f.l. end, the pictures on the walls would show more
foreshortening with distance, i.e. the same wide-angle "distortion" that
makes people's heads egg-shaped at the edges of the picture would be
apparent, and this would be eliminated as f.l. was lengthened. And that sort
of wide-lens foreshortening could *not* be duplicated with a long lens from
the same viewpoint.

If you take a very wide-angle shot of almost anything, it is only the
*central* portion of the picture that keeps the same perspective as you go
to a longer f.l., because you're just magnifying that same part. (In one way
or another this is the "proof" always given by the
viewpoint-alone-determines-perspective believers.) But with that longer f.l.
you could never get the same perspective that you did at the *corners* of
the w.a. shot. Even though shooting from the same viewpoint, you'd have to
redirect the camera which would change the perspective, and in most cases
the change would be very apparent.

An example of this effect is here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison-sharpness-12.htm

Look at the corners pix. Even though Rockwell didn't use long lenses for
comparison, his enlargements of the wide angle photos' corners make the
point. Long lenses obviously would not have produced the perspective shown
in these w.a. corners.

> All very interesting, and thought provoking. Like you, I also find it
> difficult to deny the thought that a change of FL such as the one I made
> does not result in a change in perspective.

Indeed.

From: Bruce on
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:23:08 -0400, "David Ruether"
<d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:

>Ah, the above reminds me of my teaching days.......! ;-) I found it
>easy using a blackboard and chalk, drawing a "lens", a "stick figure",
>and a "film plane" to show the effects of keeping FL constant, changing
>FL, keeping the film plane constant in size relative to the FL or changing
>that, and the effect of changing the lens opening size on an out of focus
>image on the film plane using drawn sections of "cones" of light...
>Fun!

It is fun, especially if you have a receptive audience. But it takes
only one Neil Harrington to spoil the party. ;-)

>(But the most fun was getting people to "see" that they don't see
>straight lines off the center of their vision that are strait in the subjects
>they look at - in other words, we don't see in rectangular perspective...;-)

It's fascinating how the eye and brain work together. The eye "sees"
like a fisheye lens, but the brain corrects it to rectilinear. It is
rather like the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye, with software "correcting" the
results to rectilinear ... ;-)

From: Neil Harrington on

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:23:08 -0400, "David Ruether"
> <d_ruether(a)thotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Ah, the above reminds me of my teaching days.......! ;-) I found it
>>easy using a blackboard and chalk, drawing a "lens", a "stick figure",
>>and a "film plane" to show the effects of keeping FL constant, changing
>>FL, keeping the film plane constant in size relative to the FL or changing
>>that, and the effect of changing the lens opening size on an out of focus
>>image on the film plane using drawn sections of "cones" of light...
>>Fun!
>

> It is fun, especially if you have a receptive audience. But it takes
> only one Neil Harrington to spoil the party. ;-)

Sorry if my correcting your error "spoils the party," but -- c'est la vie,
as they say in Uzbekistan. :-)