From: Frank ess on

Charles wrote:
> "mmyvusenet" <mmyvusenet(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>>
>> What kind of techniques are you using to take photos of books in
>> close-up? Yesterday I took this photo:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4357519848/
>>
>> Thanks for the technical comments about photography.
>
> It would seem that your agenda is not about photography.
>
> Technical? It's a photograph. Decent. Could be better, could be
> worse.

You want not-photograhy photography? Try this colorful, bizarre stuff:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/02/carnival_2010.html

From: Rich on
On Feb 15, 10:42 am, "mmyvusenet" <mmyvuse...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> What kind of techniques are you using to take photos of books in close-up?
>
> Yesterday I took this photo:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4357519848/
>
> Thanks for the technical comments about photography.
>
> --
> MMYVhttp://www.mmyv.com

The background (cable, wall transitions) are disruptive. I'd re-shoot
it against a blank wall, maybe face-on. But that is also
conventional, so you might want to try a number of positions with the
book to see what comes of it.
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:29:41 -0800 (PST), Draco <JPDFDA(a)HOTMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
>
>>On Feb 15, 10:42 am, "mmyvusenet" <mmyvuse...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> What kind of techniques are you using to take photos of books in
>>> close-up?
>>>
>>> Yesterday I took this photo:
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4357519848/
>>>
>>> Thanks for the technical comments about photography.
>>>
>>> --
>>> MMYVhttp://www.mmyv.com
>>
>>The image you made is okay for a documentation of the entire bible,
>>But not very good as to copy the page.
>
> I had the impression that he was attempting to capture the book as a
> subject of interest and not capturing the book to document or copy
> pages.
>
> Some books are interesting subjects because of the binding and general
> interest of their appearance. In the case of the photo he's trying to
> capture, the photographer should be closer to straight-on but still be
> able to include the body of pages.
>
> As usual with mm's photos, the background should be better. He
> doesn't seem to have a sense of being able to "pose" his subject in
> either an appropriate background or a neutral background. This book
> would photograph better on a solid color cloth with, perhaps,
> something like a chalice or a votive candle in the scene.

To be blunt, you and others have been giving the OP some excellent advice
since I have been lurking on this list. His failure to show any signs of
attempting to follow it, leads me to wonder why he bothers. Even more
interesting is why anyone bothers.

--
Peter

From: Peter Huebner on
In article <UdqdnUoDLo5LQeTWnZ2dnUVZ_rednZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
frank(a)fshe2fs.com says...

> You want not-photograhy photography? Try this colorful, bizarre stuff:
> http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/02/carnival_2010.html

Now _there's_ an interesting shot of a book. And a few more ...

-P.

From: George Kerby on

On 2/15/10 5:00 PM, in article hlcjng$ba1$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"Charles" <charlesschuler(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> "mmyvusenet" <mmyvusenet(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello:
>>
>> What kind of techniques are you using to take photos of books in close-up?
>>
>> Yesterday I took this photo:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmyv/4357519848/
>>
>> Thanks for the technical comments about photography.
>
> It would seem that your agenda is not about photography.
>
> Technical? It's a photograph. Decent. Could be better, could be worse.

And YOUR agenda is?