From: Bill Graham on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Charles E Hardwidge" <boing(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>

>> Neighbours from hell don't get evicted because they have children and
>> they
>> know it so there's no control on them ruining peoples lives. These
>> children
>> have no incentive to perform and know they can get away with murder so
>> disrupt school classes with impunity. And so the cycle of low aspirations
>> and abuse continues. The system that's meant to drive progress and
>> protect society ends up encouraging the thing it's meant to stop.
>>

> Kids today can't even bring rubber bands to their algebra class.
> Rube bands are considered weapons of math disruption.

As a matter of fact, rubber bands make an excellent tool for explaining
ratios to children.....You mark three spots along the unstretched band, and
then show how the distance ratio remains the same when the band is
stretched.

From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:46:05 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Charles E Hardwidge" <boing(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>>> Neighbours from hell don't get evicted because they have children and
>>> they
>>> know it so there's no control on them ruining peoples lives. These
>>> children
>>> have no incentive to perform and know they can get away with murder so
>>> disrupt school classes with impunity. And so the cycle of low aspirations
>>> and abuse continues. The system that's meant to drive progress and
>>> protect society ends up encouraging the thing it's meant to stop.
>>>

>> Kids today can't even bring rubber bands to their algebra class.
>> Rube bands are considered weapons of math disruption.
>>

>As a matter of fact, rubber bands make an excellent tool for explaining
>ratios to children.....You mark three spots along the unstretched band, and
>then show how the distance ratio remains the same when the band is
>stretched.

Do you ever "get it"?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:30:55 -0700, "Russell D." <rmd(a)sfcn.org> wrote:
> : If any of you are going to be in the Provo/Salt Lake City, Utah (USA),
> : area in the next couple of months, I highly recommend the "From
> : Daguerreotype to Digital: A History of Photography" exhibit at the
> : Harold B. Lee Library on the Brigham Young University campus in Provo. I
> : attended it today an really enjoyed it. It was informative, very
> : educational and very well presented. I was not aware that there had been
> : so many different ways of taking and processing photos. My only
> : complaint was that there was not a pamphlet or brochure of some kind to
> : help me remember the things that I learned.

> Sounds interesting. I'd love to visit the beautiful state of Utah again; but,
> alas, I don't expect to be there anytime soon.

> : On the way back to my car I passed through the Harris Fine Arts Center
> : and enjoyed a delightful but small (16 photos) student photo exhibit
> : called ". . . and then the cops came." The exhibited photos each had an
> : accompanying story by the photographers of their encounter with the law
> : while they were taking the photograph.

> I suppose it's reassuring that that exhibit was small!

I rather like it when a friendly cop comes over to find out what I'm
up to, is reassured by my replies, and we sometimes go on to have a
friendly conversation. The problem arises when the cop is hostile and
is not reassured.

Or when the cop isn't initially hostile, but doesn't like the hostile
attitude of the photographer. Some people are rude to the police as a
matter of course. It's often quite easy to provoke police into
treating you badly.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Russell D. on
On 03/15/2010 04:01 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 01:30:55 -0700, "Russell D." <rmd(a)sfcn.org> wrote:
>> : If any of you are going to be in the Provo/Salt Lake City, Utah (USA),
>> : area in the next couple of months, I highly recommend the "From
>> : Daguerreotype to Digital: A History of Photography" exhibit at the
>> : Harold B. Lee Library on the Brigham Young University campus in Provo. I
>> : attended it today an really enjoyed it. It was informative, very
>> : educational and very well presented. I was not aware that there had been
>> : so many different ways of taking and processing photos. My only
>> : complaint was that there was not a pamphlet or brochure of some kind to
>> : help me remember the things that I learned.
>
>> Sounds interesting. I'd love to visit the beautiful state of Utah again; but,
>> alas, I don't expect to be there anytime soon.
>
>> : On the way back to my car I passed through the Harris Fine Arts Center
>> : and enjoyed a delightful but small (16 photos) student photo exhibit
>> : called ". . . and then the cops came." The exhibited photos each had an
>> : accompanying story by the photographers of their encounter with the law
>> : while they were taking the photograph.
>
>> I suppose it's reassuring that that exhibit was small!
>
> I rather like it when a friendly cop comes over to find out what I'm
> up to, is reassured by my replies, and we sometimes go on to have a
> friendly conversation. The problem arises when the cop is hostile and
> is not reassured.
>
> Or when the cop isn't initially hostile, but doesn't like the hostile
> attitude of the photographer. Some people are rude to the police as a
> matter of course. It's often quite easy to provoke police into
> treating you badly.

One photo was of a nice custom motorcycle that the photographers friend
had built. They had taken it to an old factory that was due for
demolition to use as a backdrop. A cop shows up to check them out and
then leaves. Suddenly he returns with two or three other cop cars. The
first cop and radioed his buddies to come check out the cool bike.

Russell
From: Albert Ross on
wrote:

>"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Charles E Hardwidge" <boing(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>>> Neighbours from hell don't get evicted because they have children and
>>> they
>>> know it so there's no control on them ruining peoples lives. These
>>> children
>>> have no incentive to perform and know they can get away with murder so
>>> disrupt school classes with impunity. And so the cycle of low aspirations
>>> and abuse continues. The system that's meant to drive progress and
>>> protect society ends up encouraging the thing it's meant to stop.
>>>

>> Kids today can't even bring rubber bands to their algebra class.
>> Rube bands are considered weapons of math disruption.
>>

>As a matter of fact, rubber bands make an excellent tool for explaining
>ratios to children.....You mark three spots along the unstretched band, and
>then show how the distance ratio remains the same when the band is
>stretched.

Why doesn't anyone sell rubber Moebius strips?