From: jacko on
With the superstall, pick second or swapped third. No lower indexing
is used.
From: jacko on
If you run a double wire from each of the drains to the driven node,
the rail short becomes a rail long with fast cmos, and it becomes
slighly more capacitive... but does allow the switch on time V(GS) to
reduce rail short, and turn off power loss in general.

The turn on power is less, as the drain load is smaller, so all
current goes to the driven gate. The extra tiny delayed current to the
switching off driver may be lowered by placing a diode in each of the
wires just before the driven gate. This would isolate the return wire
more (the switching off one),

Maybe useful => Placing the channel opposite the conductiong channel
diven with an opposing phase, but with a V(GS)on exceeding the max
volt of the chip (never conducts but accumulates charge) the secondary
channel charge may inject or suck for faster switch on. Use a higher
doping for the antiphase channel. ref DISCO-FET.

From: MitchAlsup on
On Jul 15, 1:31 pm, jacko <jackokr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Its pretty clear, from your description, you have no idea as to how to
do the circuit design or physical layout of such a picker.
Like a fast adder, it requires a careful choice of gates, and then
careful sizing of those gates to achieve best resolution delay.
There is no reason in deep submicron to resort to any dynamic logic
structures, espectially in moderate sized pickers.

So in the intrest of fair play, I have enclosed a link to the
schematic of my 1:32 picker. Why don't you do the same?

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4593/comparch.jpg

Mitch

From: jacko on
On Jul 15, 8:43 pm, MitchAlsup <MitchAl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 1:31 pm, jacko <jackokr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Its pretty clear, from your description, you have no idea as to how to
> do the circuit design or physical layout of such a picker.
> Like a fast adder, it requires a careful choice of gates, and then
> careful sizing of those gates to achieve best resolution delay.
> There is no reason in deep submicron to resort to any dynamic logic
> structures, espectially in moderate sized pickers.

Yes, tis true your gate library has no low power double wire
interconnects.

From: jacko on
> So in the intrest of fair play, I have enclosed a link to the
> schematic of my 1:32 picker. Why don't you do the same?
>
> http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/4593/comparch.jpg
>
> Mitch

A ready to picked mux, I suppose that would be connected to an
invalidate/empty/refill flip-flop/signal (x32) and a 32 to 1 way mux
to get the picked. I'd say using common OR rail, or maybe AND rail
with negative logic.

It would also be a common module for say a retire instruction 1 of 32.
A 32 way priority selector.

In effect quite a compact shuffle queue component. ok.

So picking N would be a matter of assigning to a seperate queue based
on target register in the speculative/or regular register pool. To
prevent queue imbalances. Just wonder if the register read muxes could
be rotated so that each queue could access a percentage too.