From: jacko on
I do wonder if the registers should actually store a pointer to the
pool, and insert occasional mock moves to keep the pool ringing
linear, without stagnant can not refill entries.
From: Andy Glew "newsgroup at on
On 7/15/2010 2:24 PM, jacko wrote:
> On Jul 15, 8:43 pm, MitchAlsup<MitchAl...(a)aol.com> wrote:

>> There is no reason in deep submicron to resort to any dynamic logic
>> structures, espectially in moderate sized pickers.
>
> Yes, tis true your gate library has no low power double wire
> interconnects.

It's not so much the lack of "low power double wire interconnects" - by
which I think you mean what folks in my experience call LVDS, low
voltage differential signalling.

It's that your description, what I can make of it, seems to be using
dynamic or wired logic. And we have spent the last 5-10 years learning
not to do dynamic or wired logic, because it is not reliable in deep
submicron.

Or you using dynamic or wired logic? A schematic would show.

(My usual plaint about comp.arch needing a way to exchange diagrams,
line drawings. I am working, in my not-so-copious spare time, on having
diagram editing on comp-arch.net.)

By the way, a minor quibble with Mitch: it's not so much that we don't
have reasons to want to use dynamic structures, it's that the reasons
for not using dynamic structures outweigh the reasons for using them.

From: jacko on
On Jul 17, 4:17 am, Andy Glew <"newsgroup at comp-arch.net"> wrote:
> On 7/15/2010 2:24 PM, jacko wrote:
>
> > On Jul 15, 8:43 pm, MitchAlsup<MitchAl...(a)aol.com>  wrote:
> >> There is no reason in deep submicron to resort to any dynamic logic
> >> structures, espectially in moderate sized pickers.
>
> > Yes, tis true your gate library has no low power double wire
> > interconnects.
>
> It's not so much the lack of "low power double wire interconnects" - by
> which I think you mean what folks in my experience call LVDS, low
> voltage differential signalling.
>
> It's that your description, what I can make of it, seems to be using
> dynamic or wired logic.  And we have spent the last 5-10 years learning
> not to do dynamic or wired logic, because it is not reliable in deep
> submicron.

Take one standard inverter, disconnect drains, these two new output
nodes are the pair. They route together to another say inverter, an
join together at the second inverter input node. This makes the rail
short current path longer and due to the input capacitance of the
driven not gate's transistor gates, reduces power switch off loss in
the driving not gate, and turn on power loss in the driving not gate
as all current flows to the driven gate pair.

That's a low power double wire interconnect. Not as ameanable to rat's
nest optimization unless wire are routed in pairs, and kept in pairs.
Not differential drive, as only one is driven, the other goes HiZ.

Further to this design, the wire pair joining at an input node, can
have a diode half bridge +-|>|-+-|>|-+ with centre being the driven
node. The differential of resistances of conducting and non conducting
diodes futher skews the two wire potential divider, in the power
favour.

The actual FETs can have two gates yes? But if in parallel these gates
be with close proximity of channels see, then antiphase drive is small
transit time... Pity it's always on, ... what if V(GS) was lifted for
one of them? by doping of the depletion for more depletion needed? The
carrier jumping would still occur F(tmax) going higher. A bit like a
burried layer carrier n+ in bipolar, but active... The second gate is
just driven antiphase by it's output for that miller capacitance
effect??!!

Is this making sense to you?
From: jacko on
Direct Injection Switching Channel Organization (DISCO) FET
From: MitchAlsup on
On Jul 16, 10:17 pm, Andy Glew <"newsgroup at comp-arch.net"> wrote:
> By the way, a minor quibble with Mitch:  it's not so much that we don't
> have reasons to want to use dynamic structures, it's that the reasons
> for not using dynamic structures outweigh the reasons for using them.

I do not believe that I have said anything positive or negative about
dynamic logic. And I did live through the vast unlearning process,
much like Andy.

But my point to jacko was that his use of words is so foreign to the
standard dictum of logic designers, that we cannot understand what he
attempts to try to say without some schematics. Apparently he has no
access to draw tools and free image hoisting, or does not care to
actully get his point across. His english, in the words of Dirty
Harry, "Ain't making it".

In particular, his double wire interconnects could be:
a) True-Complement signals
b) Hot Vdd and Vss signals
c) CVSL logic
d) LVDS logic
e) or a number of other design styles.

ONLY A SCHEMATIC WILL END THE CONFUSION--jacko--so go do one.

Mitch