From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 01/05/2010 20:43, in article hrhsoo0g1a(a)enews5.newsguy.com, "JWald"
<wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote:

> Do you mind telling me which FX unit you used? What is Tri-Tone, and is that
> a function of that unit? Thanks.

Please reply below the OP.

And:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone

"The tritone is a musical interval that spans three whole tones. The
tritone, sometimes known as the Diabolus in Musica, is the same as an
augmented fourth, which in 12-tone equal temperament is enharmonic to a
diminished fifth."

If that sentence above doesn't make any sense, it might be an idea to read
up on musical harmony and the like. :-)

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Denny Strauser on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 20:43, in article hrhsoo0g1a(a)enews5.newsguy.com, "JWald"
> <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you mind telling me which FX unit you used? What is Tri-Tone, and is that
>> a function of that unit? Thanks.
>
> Please reply below the OP.
>
> And:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone
>
> "The tritone is a musical interval that spans three whole tones. The
> tritone, sometimes known as the Diabolus in Musica, is the same as an
> augmented fourth, which in 12-tone equal temperament is enharmonic to a
> diminished fifth."
>
> If that sentence above doesn't make any sense, it might be an idea to read
> up on musical harmony and the like. :-)

A Tritone is 6 Semitones or 600 Cents in the even tempered musical
scale. Some FX units measure pitch change in Semitones, some in cents,
some in other ways ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitone

I actually studied this stuff in college a few decades ago. I have an
almost useless degree in music.

-Denny
From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 02/05/2010 15:39, in article hrjvan$s05$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe Kotroczo wrote:
>> On 01/05/2010 20:43, in article hrhsoo0g1a(a)enews5.newsguy.com, "JWald"
>> <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Do you mind telling me which FX unit you used? What is Tri-Tone, and is that
>>> a function of that unit? Thanks.
>>
>> Please reply below the OP.
>>
>> And:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone
>>
>> "The tritone is a musical interval that spans three whole tones. The
>> tritone, sometimes known as the Diabolus in Musica, is the same as an
>> augmented fourth, which in 12-tone equal temperament is enharmonic to a
>> diminished fifth."
>>
>> If that sentence above doesn't make any sense, it might be an idea to read
>> up on musical harmony and the like. :-)
>
> A Tritone is 6 Semitones or 600 Cents in the even tempered musical
> scale. Some FX units measure pitch change in Semitones, some in cents,
> some in other ways ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitone
>
> I actually studied this stuff in college a few decades ago. I have an
> almost useless degree in music.

Shall we confuse them by mentioning that only in the Equal Temperament a
Semitone is actually 100 Cent, in any other temperament it's a different
value... ;-)

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Denny Strauser on
Joe Kotroczo wrote:
> On 02/05/2010 15:39, in article hrjvan$s05$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Joe Kotroczo wrote:

>>> Please reply below the OP.
>>>
>>> And:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritone
>>>
>>> "The tritone is a musical interval that spans three whole tones. The
>>> tritone, sometimes known as the Diabolus in Musica, is the same as an
>>> augmented fourth, which in 12-tone equal temperament is enharmonic to a
>>> diminished fifth."
>>>
>>> If that sentence above doesn't make any sense, it might be an idea to read
>>> up on musical harmony and the like. :-)
>> A Tritone is 6 Semitones or 600 Cents in the even tempered musical
>> scale. Some FX units measure pitch change in Semitones, some in cents,
>> some in other ways ...
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitone
>>
>> I actually studied this stuff in college a few decades ago. I have an
>> almost useless degree in music.
>
> Shall we confuse them by mentioning that only in the Equal Temperament a
> Semitone is actually 100 Cent, in any other temperament it's a different
> value... ;-)

Sure, why not. Wiki says:

"In music theory, a distinction is made[citation needed] between a
diatonic semitone (a minor second, e.g. from C to D♭) and a chromatic
semitone (an augmented unison, e.g. from C to C♯). A diatonic semitone
may further be distinguished into a major diatonic semitone, 15:14 or
119 cents, and a minor diatonic semitone, 17:16 or 105 cents.[4] The
minor diatonic semitone may be derived from the harmonic series as the
interval between the sixteenth and seventeenth harmonics.

In twelve-tone equal temperament all semitones are equal in size. Any
equal-tempered interval can be defined in terms of an appropriate number
of semitones (e.g. an octave is 12 semitones wide). In other tuning
systems the term "semitone" refers to a family of intervals which may
vary both in size and name."

And Wiki gives a listening example of Tritone:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Tritone.mid

Apparently I was wrong about the Tritone being the most dissonant
harmony. An augmented unison is the most dissonant.

- Denny
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on
.. An augmented unison is the most dissonant.

> - Denny

Thanks Denny , I think you have found the name for my new band :-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: trouble posting
Next: D6 problems