From: JWald on
Hello Gentlemen,
A friends son is the singer in a death metal band. He is looking for an
effect that will allow him to do his demony growly vocal with more power. He
can do the low stuff, but he wants to sing in a higher range for power, and
produce the lower register for the crowd. Does such a thing exist? TC
Helicon? Digitech? Help. Thanks.

--
J Wald

From: Denny Strauser on
JWald wrote:
> Hello Gentlemen,
> A friends son is the singer in a death metal band. He is looking for an
> effect that will allow him to do his demony growly vocal with more power. He
> can do the low stuff, but he wants to sing in a higher range for power, and
> produce the lower register for the crowd. Does such a thing exist? TC
> Helicon? Digitech? Help. Thanks.

Many professional FX units have a pitch change that can do this. Just
read the manual to see if it can change the pitch one or two octaves;
some cannot change pitch that much.

I have done this with a female voice successfully. I also added a bit of
Tri-Tone (flat 5th), which is the most dissonant harmony. Two octaves
down + Tri-Tone .... makes the voice monstrous.

- Denny
From: JWald on
Do you mind telling me which FX unit you used? What is Tri-Tone, and is that
a function of that unit? Thanks.

--
J Wald

From: Denny Strauser on
JWald wrote:
> Do you mind telling me which FX unit you used? What is Tri-Tone, and is that
> a function of that unit? Thanks.

First off, usual protocol is to post replies below the original post.
I have used a number of Yamaha, TC & Lexicon FX units to create the
monster voice FX. As I said in my reply, a tri-tone is a flatted 5th.
For example, if the vocalist is singing a middle C, the flatted 5th
would be a G-flat/F-sharp. You won't see the word tri-tone on an FZ unit.

- Denny
From: Sean Conolly on
> JWald wrote:
>> Do you mind telling me which FX unit you used? What is Tri-Tone, and is
>> that a function of that unit? Thanks.
>
> First off, usual protocol is to post replies below the original post.
> I have used a number of Yamaha, TC & Lexicon FX units to create the
> monster voice FX. As I said in my reply, a tri-tone is a flatted 5th. For
> example, if the vocalist is singing a middle C, the flatted 5th would be a
> G-flat/F-sharp. You won't see the word tri-tone on an FZ unit.

Yes, 6 frets on the guitar, diminished 5th, augmented 4th, etc.

Remember the intro to Purple Haze? That's a tri-tone. In Europe it's also
the interval used in police sirens.

Sean

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3