From: Andrea Dallera on
Please everyone stop feeding the troll (or whatever he is).
I appreciate the effort but please just leave him alone, he'll run out
of gas soon.

--
Andrea Dallera
http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain

From: thunk on
On Apr 1, 11:50 am, Seebs <usenet-nos...(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-04-01, thunk <gmkol...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > bottom.bottom.bottom line...
>
> Is that you aren't going to tell us what you're doing.
>
> > With respect to the documentation that _why produced for shoes, I
> > really just wanted "simple definitions" and he was giving me
> > cartoons.
>
> Two major differences:
> 1.  He had working code that could be used, which made it possible for
> people who were curious to mess with it.
> 2.  The cartoons and such were a very useful way of communicating some
> things, but useful ONLY once you had seen the "simple definitions".
>
> Back in the day, the first time someone pointed me at the poigniant guide,
> when I had no other information about Ruby, I spent about five minutes on
> it and concluded that this was some kind of crazy empty fad without any
> substance, because the best thing people could point me at on it was only
> marginally lucid.  Later, once I'd gotten pointed at a basic summary of the
> approximate general area of human endeavor in which Ruby existed, I found
> the poigniant guide quite enlightening.
>
> That kind of communication works ONLY when you have first given people a
> ballpark feel for what kind of thing you're talking about.  Without that
> initial ranging information, it's largely useless.
>
> -s
> --
> Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nos...(a)seebs.nethttp://www.seebs.net/log/<-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictureshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology) <-- get educated!

really a strange coincidence that this is April 1, and
I've been working some this AM on this about that:

http://wiki.github.com/gkoller/Ruids/

its my new ruid wiki with attitude and eventually if my linux system
allows colored snapshots of my favorite posters. I don't do cartoons
yet, but a few have occurred to me along the way here.

this is my wiki, in my order, in my style and like that, if things get
serious I also know to get serious and we'll have to find somebody to
that... its not in my nature to get much past the first pass of
anything for humans. I'm much more attuned to polishing my code.

From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-01, Andrea Dallera <andrea(a)andreadallera.com> wrote:
> Please everyone stop feeding the troll (or whatever he is).
> I appreciate the effort but please just leave him alone, he'll run out
> of gas soon.

I think you're right.

I'm done; he's established to my satisfaction that he is either trolling
or fundamentally incapable of communication. I hope that, if there was a
good idea in there, it eventually occurs to someone who can use language.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Charles Johnson on

On Apr 1, 2010, at 12:10 PM, thunk wrote:

> http://wiki.github.com/gkoller/Ruids/

Great stream of consciousness prose died with James Joyce.

Cheers--

Charles
--
Charles Johnson
Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education

From: Aldric Giacomoni on
Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-04-01, Andrea Dallera <andrea(a)andreadallera.com> wrote:
>> Please everyone stop feeding the troll (or whatever he is).
>> I appreciate the effort but please just leave him alone, he'll run out
>> of gas soon.
>
> I think you're right.
>
> I'm done; he's established to my satisfaction that he is either trolling
> or fundamentally incapable of communication. I hope that, if there was
> good idea in there, it eventually occurs to someone who can use
> language.
>
> -s

Hey Seebs, I've got this great idea.

It's going to involve a kind of giant database, maybe nosql, maybe
relational. It's gonna have a ton of information. In fact, it's going to
learn to analyze data without us telling it what to look for [1]! And
then we can plug in more information about the data.
That's going to create links within the data, which we can probably use
with neural network back-propagation to create and refine existing
filters.
Now, about those filters - they can be like agents, who watch changes to
data and fire off an email when specific data changes.

See, for instance, we have this database with lots of pharmaceutical
information, right? Lots of tables, lots of data, lots of research. Now,
we're also going to have a database for patients which links to
information in this huge database of pharmaceuticals (which I will call
pharms from now on). So, for instance, patient John Doe is currently on
this pharm called foobarbazquuxelamine [2], and it turns out that new
research indicates that the drug was found to cause cancer in laboratory
mice [3].
So, the database is updated, possibly with a red flag.
The referring physician / lawyer / surgeon / patient has this alert set
up for the patient record. If it were me, I'd have alerts set up for all
my patients, but moving on. This alert sends him an email, "Oh,
#{deity}! #{this patient} will get #{cancer} because of #{this pharm}!"

Magic.
Except not.

Alright, so now we just have to implement that; we should just create a
DSL so everyone can implement their own agents / filters / database
queries. The client program will just start as many of those queries as
we tell it to; how about 2,000 per second? Should be fine, right? I
wonder what'll happen when one million physicians across the world each
fire two thousand requests per second.

[1] I admit it. I am a dreamer.
[2] It was invented at MIT, dontchaknow.
[3] Everything causes cancer in laboratory mice. Life has been found to
cause cancer in laboratory mice. Mice have been found to... Well, you
get it.