From: Gennady Bystritsky on
On Apr 1, 2010, at 10:30 AM, Seebs wrote:

> On 2010-04-01, Andrea Dallera <andrea(a)andreadallera.com> wrote:
>> Please everyone stop feeding the troll (or whatever he is).
>> I appreciate the effort but please just leave him alone, he'll run out
>> of gas soon.
>
> I think you're right.
>
> I'm done; he's established to my satisfaction that he is either trolling
> or fundamentally incapable of communication. I hope that, if there was a
> good idea in there, it eventually occurs to someone who can use language.
>
> -s
> --
> Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebsnet
> http://www.seebs.net/log/ <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology) <-- get educated!

It just struck me that there may not even be a real person behind those Boid/Ruid writings :-). At some point it started feeling like some AI module generated responses that seem crazy but vaguely relevant enough for people to even respond the them and keep the conversation going, getting utterly frustrated on the way.

You know, like pick a subject and see how communication with real people on a mailing list would go along, possibly adopting to responders' mood/attitude. And seeing how many people got involved, the technology may be pretty cool after all ;-)

Gennady.

From: Robert Dober on
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM, Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-04-01, Andrea Dallera <andrea(a)andreadallera.com> wrote:
>> Please everyone stop feeding the troll (or whatever he is).
>> I appreciate the effort but please just leave him alone, he'll run out
>> of gas soon.
>
> I think you're right.

Absolutely right, but maybe these postings are done by Ruids....

--
Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.”
--- Confucius

From: thunk on

> Great stream of consciousness prose died with James Joyce.

....and great English died with Shakespeare.

So what are the rest of us consigned to do?

Muddle through as best we can.... what's your real point, oh,
credentialed one?
From: Aldric Giacomoni on
thunk wrote:

>> Great stream of consciousness prose died with James Joyce.

> what's your real point, oh,
> credentialed one?

That's easy! His point is, which of the two is easier to read:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

------- OR ---------

the first cold shower
even the monkey seems to want
a little coat of straw

And with that, we are _DEFINITELY_ not talking about Ruby anymore.

From: thunk on

and the most curious thing to me, with all the credentialated
professors, and all the money at stake, and all the great things that
COULD be done, I had 3 shopping baskets with computer components, at
three state-of-the-art computer component suppliers and not one of
them was in a position to do more than take my credit card number.

And I thought - heck - here's a job for some good old thunk magic.

NOW, 3 years later, I KNOW WHAT TO DO, AND HOW TO DO IT, and I still
haven't seen any clue that this type of tool has been put to use.

I like to BUILD my computers, bespoken and all, but I would have
expected it to get EASIER, not more difficult. Where are you guys
doing useful things?

Give old thunk 500 of "these units" and "good" data on the components
and I'll show ANYBODY what I'm talking about. Want to make a 5,000
pound wager to make it interesting? These things could verify
cables, plugs, cpu to mem, fans, power, peer to peer performance, db
estimation, cooling, and you name it these 500 could do it. And
somebody want to add a new one - it could come from any geek anywhere
that knows his stuff. I just thought that might be interesting.

so sorry.