From: thunk on

ok, some clarity arrived:

for trivial games one "helperclass" each. one '?'method per potential
move. chess would require maybe 6 helper classes or so. the "ruids"
play n play players. the swarms are organized differently than i have
done but no big deal. each swarm would handle a new move by any
player. and no big deal.

ok.

but the rules of the game are determined by the ruids. the ruids
could replace an existing rule (not just elbow in an be accumulated).
this means that the game rules could be changed as the games are being
played. the rule changes could be trivial, or they could be
controlled by some meisterspieler that is adding interest to the whole
mental menagerie of male bemastering.

so vying to change the rules - "politics" - could become part of the
whole RuidScape.

now that seems pretty amusing and somewhat less trivial.

From: Andrea Dallera on
Hei,

your project _sounds_ interesting but I'm personally getting annoyed by
the amount of spam you're generating on the list. I'm also thinking that
you're doing this on purpose, since you've been ignoring the previous
criticism altogether. So please, give us either a proper description of
how this exactly works or a link to a repository where we can all see
the code.
This behavior of yours is neither polite nor beneficially to your side:
honestly, you're not giving a good impression of yourself. I personally
think you're either a troll or some student who's attended CS 101 and
think he's teh awesome.

--
Andrea Dallera
http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain

From: thunk on

ummm, i taught my heathkit to play tic-tac-toe on its octal keyboard.
yup, then charged into checkers and couldn't beat it but like tic-tac-
toe it would not make a mistake so games ended in ties all the time.
charged into chess and got totally humiliated :) but then that's how i
learned something in 1978 or so. i backed off of chess in a hurry
though because i took on real work for my little friend doing "quality
audits" that the boys feeding cobol to the big iron corporate couldn't
do. yup.

the key to my "confidence" in the game thing is that the "HelperClass"
methods can do anything - they could be hooked up to a monitors and
have real humans making the counter move, they could have schirnoff vs
kalalschnikoff memorized, they could, use other software - so in this
context all the little Ruids would have to do is coordinate.

and that's rather a revelation because i didn't think of it that way
until i woke up thinking about this instead of what i was supposed to/
expecting to.

somebody i chatted with talked about distributed and that's generally
beyond my pay grade or likely actual experience (although we collected
stuff all over factories and such...). but if one system were to not
be able to keep up playing against so many players the whole thing
could spawn itself and divide the games going but then the whiteboards
would need to get copied and it gets nuts. much better would be to
kick things off with fixed rules and a daemon per game - then when the
nth + 1 player arrives it could just cause a sistered thread to kick
off.

so when i think about that it sure sounds like heroku would be the
right kind of hardware.

but i'm not really thinking about games, or shouldn't be...

From: thunk on
On Mar 31, 2:47 am, Andrea Dallera <and...(a)andreadallera.com> wrote:
> Hei,
>
>         your project _sounds_ interesting but I'm personally getting annoyed by
> the amount of spam you're generating on the list. I'm also thinking that
> you're doing this on purpose, since you've been ignoring the previous
> criticism altogether. So please, give us either a proper description of
> how this exactly works or a link to a repository where we can all see
> the code.
> This behavior of yours is neither polite nor beneficially to your side:
> honestly, you're not giving a good impression of yourself. I personally
> think you're either a troll or some student who's attended CS 101 and
> think he's teh awesome.
>
> --

trolling?

i'll take the cs101 as a compliment - i retire in july - honest.

and i was not putting in my link to : http://wiki.github.com/gkoller/Ruides-/

on purpose because that did seem a bit spam'ish.

no, i am just trying to turn my back on this thing, and wanted to do
my best to communicate on it that i know how without spending too much
time.

the above link has a "plan a" - where the situation is outlined and
it's messy because the project the framework needs to come out of is
not done yet. that's what i need to get back to... and i'm dead
serious... that has to come first unless there is some entity that
sees something better for these things to be doing.

when i first dropped in here i didn't know if this was being done, i
was probing and for that drawing some attention didn't seem out of
place. i'm not stupid and this is not my first or only forum... i
can tell stories of an epic battle with a very mean hedgefund and
schrills and....

back on topic - you guys can wait 3+ months and maybe it will make
some sense for me to pull the framework out. or i'll share as things
go along. i have that spelled out somewhat. the good news is that it
is all 100% pure and not too complicated as a console system.

i keep hearing how bloggers get their heruko apps up in a few hours
and i'd love to see this get popped up by somebody smart enough to do
that but it is a digression for me and my system doesn't seem to want
to make anything simple security (keys) wise - it made signing up for
gitHub a day of frustration looking up stuff in my linux manual that
gets thrown at the wall a lot here (my only satisfaction from that
book). all this to say - no, after 3 years of kicking this project
down the road i'm still ready to give it away - just not too eager to
spend weeks to do it to have somebody it doesn't run on his version of
jruby and expect me to support it. how rewarding would that be?

thunk

From: Andrea Dallera on
Hei,

I gave a look to your github wiki: while still I have no idea what
you're aiming to do at least it looks that you're trying for real.
I am in no position to suggest you anything but personally I'll be
getting more interested in this project of yours when 1) i can get some
code that i can execute and see what it does from start to end 2) all
this talk about Ruids and Boids boils down to something concrete: I've
got some (not much) experience in data mining and pattern matching and
what i learned is that what sounds cool often does not work.

Bye and good work!