From: Alex Fort on
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM, thunk <gmkoller(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> and the most curious thing to me, with all the credentialated
> professors, and all the money at stake, and all the great things that
> COULD be done, I had 3 shopping baskets with computer components, at
> three state-of-the-art computer component suppliers and not one of
> them was in a position to do more than take my credit card number.
>
> And I thought - heck - here's a job for some good old thunk magic.
>
> NOW, 3 years later, I KNOW WHAT TO DO, AND HOW TO DO IT, and I still
> haven't seen any clue that this type of tool has been put to use.
>
> I like to BUILD my computers, bespoken and all, but I would have
> expected it to get EASIER, not more difficult.  Where are you guys
> doing useful things?
>
> Give old thunk 500 of "these units" and "good" data on the components
> and I'll show ANYBODY what I'm talking about.

Please do. As for me, I feel like I lose small portions of my brain
when I try to read what you're writing.

> Want to make a 5,000
> pound wager to make it interesting?   These things could verify
> cables, plugs, cpu to mem, fans, power, peer to peer performance, db
> estimation, cooling, and you name it these 500 could do it.  And
> somebody want to add a new one - it could come from any geek anywhere
> that knows his stuff.  I just thought that might be interesting.

It sounds very interesting, but I don't think anyone knows what you're
talking about. My first instinct was that you were some kind of Markov
chain, generating pure crazy. It would be nice to be proven wrong.

> so sorry.

Alex

From: Ryan Davis on

On Apr 1, 2010, at 13:14 , Alex Fort wrote:

> Please do. As for me, I feel like I lose small portions of my brain
> when I try to read what you're writing.

Looks like I have to break out the old "ilias is crazy" email sig and update the names:

---
Please stop responding to Ilias, he is crazy. If you stop talking to him, he will go away. If you don't believe me, check out this:

http://www.tfeb.org/lisp/mad-people.html

Especially:

> Ilias is currently (17-Sep-2002) being almost entirely ignored and
> is crying alone to himself, while trying to join in various
> threads. With luck if this continues he will get bored and wander
> off to annoy people in some other newsgroup. He is one of the most
> malignant posters to cll in recent history - between 27-Aug-2002 and
> 24-Sep-2002 threads begin by him were about 1/4 of the articles in
> cll.

Again, this man is insane, so please, please, please refrain from replying to his posts, or in threads he starts.

If you would, please join us is fighting this problem. For more details, see:

http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/IliasIsCrazy.html

Thank You

From: thunk on

>>It sounds very interesting, but I don't think anyone knows what you're
>>talking about.

FOR A CONCRETE EXAMPLE:

1. Go to CompUSA

2. Fill your "shopping Basket" with all your dream components.

3. (but don't buy them....)

4. Just sit there and stare at your screen and the list of items and
their cost and think what would have to happen to determine if those
pieces of a system (hopefully, 1 system for now) are to get "checked
for compatibility" and a lot of other things useful to YOU (and to
COMPUSA)

5. And because you are prone to thinking a little ahead of your time,
and because you don't live in NY where CompUSA already has a
Processing department that, likely, in their opinion, has addressed
every possible desire of their clients now and forever. Think about
how expertise for this very specific problem can be made from
"outside" - from guys that hang around at PCMech and such places
perhaps.

I gave up. Somebody is going to solve this someday. What I am
working on provides everything but the Data, assuming expertise can
come in from outside. Reviews already do. Reviews are nothing but a
type of these units.

From: Lyle Johnson on
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby(a)zenspider.com> wrote:

> Looks like I have to break out the old "ilias is crazy" email sig and update the names:

As best I can tell, thunk doesn't have a track record of trolling
other groups (as did Ilias and others) before visiting us. In a way,
it's sort of a tribute to Ruby's notoriety that "thunk" has started
his career here.

From: andrew mcelroy on

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Lyle Johnson <lyle(a)lylejohnson.name> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby(a)zenspider.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Looks like I have to break out the old "ilias is crazy" email sig and
> update the names:
>
> As best I can tell, thunk doesn't have a track record of trolling
> other groups (as did Ilias and others) before visiting us. In a way,
> it's sort of a tribute to Ruby's notoriety that "thunk" has started
> his career here.
>
> http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Time_Cube

There is precedence. Can we end this thread?

This is a convenient time to ask if there is a way to ignore threads without
unsubscribing.
If the forum software does not support it, who do I send a patch to?

Is this a google groups issue?