From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-01, andrew mcelroy <sophrinix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a convenient time to ask if there is a way to ignore threads without
> unsubscribing.
> If the forum software does not support it, who do I send a patch to?

Uh.

> Is this a google groups issue?

This is a Usenet group, not a "google group". Google groups presents an
interface to Usenet, but under the hood, this has nothing to do with Google.
There is a forum which maintains a gateway to this, and I have no idea
whose software is involved there. The obvious thing to do would be to use
a newsreader and access the Usenet group directly, since newsreaders have
killfiles.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: David Springer on

Ah! but the TROLL will just start a new thread/jump in on an existing one.
What we need is a way to ignore all post s by a certain user.

--
David N. Springer
Eau Claire, WI

From: Seebs on
On 2010-04-01, David Springer <dnspringer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah! but the TROLL will just start a new thread/jump in on an existing one.
> What we need is a way to ignore all post s by a certain user.

Wow, if only every newsreader released since the mid-80s had done
exactly that.

Seriously, use Usenet for this stuff.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Ryan Davis on

On Apr 1, 2010, at 15:21 , David Springer wrote:

> Ah! but the TROLL will just start a new thread/jump in on an existing one.
> What we need is a way to ignore all post s by a certain user.

For ages I've been wanting to have a baysian filter that classifies entire email threads with "read" or "nuke" based on whether it finds it interesting. I'd want it to have extra weight associated to the people involved in the thread. Blacklist thunk, ilias, and trans and I'd be set.

From: Ryan Davis on

On Apr 1, 2010, at 15:30 , Seebs wrote:

> On 2010-04-01, David Springer <dnspringer(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah! but the TROLL will just start a new thread/jump in on an existing one.
>> What we need is a way to ignore all post s by a certain user.
>
> Wow, if only every newsreader released since the mid-80s had done
> exactly that.
>
> Seriously, use Usenet for this stuff.

you need to acknowledge that there are 3 different ways that people use this:

+ ruby-talk mailing list
+ ruby-forum
+ usenet (through various interfaces)

AFAIK, all 3 of these are bidirectional, tho that may not actually be the case with ruby-forum.