From: Robert Spanjaard on
Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.

http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Mark L on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com>
wrote:

>Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg

This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in front
of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night and
water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this technique.) All
three colors of course being recorded on one frame when done this way.
Anything moving in the scene would get their share of individual color
exposures.

Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying around
might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its RGB layers
then recombine one of each from individual shots that are spaced moments
apart.

From: sobriquet on
On 20 jun, 19:01, Robert Spanjaard <spamt...(a)arumes.com> wrote:
> Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg
>
> --
> Regards, Robert                                      http://www.arumes.com

What's the point? If you enjoy gaudy colors, such effects are much
easier to accomplish in photoshop with some simple manipulations that
would allow more control over the variations in color.
From: Robert Spanjaard on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:03:28 -0500, Mark L wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>
>>Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>>
>>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg
>
> This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
> rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in
> front of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night and
> water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this technique.)
> All three colors of course being recorded on one frame when done this
> way. Anything moving in the scene would get their share of individual
> color exposures.
>
> Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying around
> might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its RGB
> layers then recombine one of each from individual shots that are spaced
> moments apart.

In fact, long before turning into a gimmick, it was one of the first
techniques used for full color photography.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
From: Mark L on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:14:34 +0200, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap(a)arumes.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:03:28 -0500, Mark L wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 19:01:56 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
>> <spamtrap(a)arumes.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Three exposures. One for red, one for green, and one for blue.
>>>
>>>http://www.arumes.com/temp/CRW_5767-69.jpg
>>
>> This was a fun gimmick back in the 70's, done by dropping a long
>> rectangular "shutter" card with 3 filters in it, dropped in a slot in
>> front of the lens. (Carnival-ride and moving traffic lights at night and
>> water-wave shots being the most popular subjects for this technique.)
>> All three colors of course being recorded on one frame when done this
>> way. Anything moving in the scene would get their share of individual
>> color exposures.
>>
>> Those of you who might happen to have some burst sequences laying around
>> might play with this in an editor. Just split each image to its RGB
>> layers then recombine one of each from individual shots that are spaced
>> moments apart.
>
>In fact, long before turning into a gimmick, it was one of the first
>techniques used for full color photography.

Yes, but done on 3 separate B&W frames.

Here's a fun freeware tool to make the above-mentioned process a little
easier.

http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/rgblights.htm

I couldn't find any of their old freebies on MediaChance's new website, but
luckily this old link from my bookmarks still worked. See this page for
more of their handy free tools before it disappears.
http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/index.html

I highly recommend the free Blackframe and FilterSIM tools. Their free
FilterSim tool once recovered an old and badly color-shifted image someone
wanted me to restore for them, that no amount of color-balancing in other
editors could accomplish. Their other freebies also have their occasional
uses.

Their PhotoBrush, DCE AutoEnhance, and Dynamic Photo HDR programs shouldn't
be discounted either. Their Dynamic Photo HDR is far better than the
usually recommend Photomatix.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Where is