From: GMAN on
In article <48u8u51pdat2ttoaf3m7gkavltguhcrtej(a)4ax.com>, me <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 07 May 2010 17:27:19 GMT, Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org
>(GMAN) wrote:
>
>>In article <i847u51mln1i5ggn8f913t2e3rl8ltgcbh(a)4ax.com>, me
> <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote:
>>>OK... I live in the dark ages... but what's with "modern" power
>>>supplies blowing INTO the case instead of out of it? Pushing hot air
>>>in can't possibly be good - why not blow it right out and let the draw
>>>cool the rest of the case?
>>>
>>>Are most of you opening up your PS and reversing these back-asswards
>>>fans?
>>I have never known a power supply that was purposely designed to blow air in.
>>Most likey the person in China or wherever the PS was built, accidently
>>mounted the fan bASSackwards!!!!
>
>I dunno... I did some web searching to enhance my knowledge before
>posting and it seemed somewhat common.

Common to blow air in???? About the only type of situtation that might be
normal would be with a BTX standard PS, not an ATX designed PS
From: GMAN on
In article <abf9u5167g3ggmf7sfa5tpool75ft0asj2(a)4ax.com>, me <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 7 May 2010 17:15:17 -0600, "peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>I have been building systems for about 20 years and I have yet to come
>>across
>>a reputable PSU that blows into the Case........
>>never heard of a 500W Rocketfish
>

>I did some research: The ATX specification suggests the use of a
>properly placed power supply to cool the CPU. If you recall some of
>the systems in the early ATX days, they often ran without CPU fans.
>Specifically I recall Dell, Compaq, and HP systems with large vertical
>fin heatsinks on CPU's and no fans. Apparently some vendors adhere to
>the earlier interpretation, and some ignore it in favor of modern
>tradition for aftermarket supplies.

you provide better cooling by drawing the heat away from the cpu and up and
out of the case. not blowing hot air from above back down onto the cpu from a
hot powersupply. Contact the rocketfish people at
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/ and ask them if how your PS is behaving is
normal to their design.

>As for the Rocketfish brand, it's actually a rebrand that Best Buy
>does of a CWT. It got great reviews, and you can get them open box for
>a steal, so I went with it. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/748

There is probably a reason that there are so many "open box" rocketfish PS's.

From: GMAN on
In article <ofj9u5d6826udtmugd8vn66misr8kgdl2b(a)4ax.com>, Andy <1(a)2.3> wrote:
>Based on the photo
><http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=17043>, it looks
>like the fan blows air into the power supply case.

Agreed, but i would have preferred a power supply that has two fans, one large
one like that , plus one in the rear.

From: DevilsPGD on
In message <83gFn.263442$Up1.104717(a)en-nntp-09.dc1.easynews.com>
Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org (GMAN) was claimed to have wrote:

>In article <hs3tir$gbn$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>>You cannot conclude that without knowing which way the blades turn,
>>clockwise or counter-clockwise.
>>
>>peter wrote:
>>> So I went to the review and took a good long look at the Fan setup of
>>> the PSU in Zoom view
>>> and I would suggest you do the same and compare it to the unit you own.
>>> To me it looks like the blades of the fan are angled to suck air in...
>>>
>>> peter
>>>
>Have you ever seen or witnessed a computer fan that turned counter clockwise?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but ever looked at a fan from
the back? Most have screw mount points on both sides...
From: GMAN on
In article <24scu510gh70ek3ea0ot08ufo15fuaocqp(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
>In message <83gFn.263442$Up1.104717(a)en-nntp-09.dc1.easynews.com>
>Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org (GMAN) was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>In article <hs3tir$gbn$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Barry Watzman
> <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> wrote:
>>>You cannot conclude that without knowing which way the blades turn,
>>>clockwise or counter-clockwise.

>>Have you ever seen or witnessed a computer fan that turned counter clockwise?
>
>Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but ever looked at a fan from
>the back? Most have screw mount points on both sides...
Yes, of course but even if you turn the fan around and mount it the opposite
way the motor still turns the same way.