From: OldHobo on

GMAN wrote:
> In article <24scu510gh70ek3ea0ot08ufo15fuaocqp(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
>> In message <83gFn.263442$Up1.104717(a)en-nntp-09.dc1.easynews.com>
>> Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org (GMAN) was claimed to have wrote:

>>> Have you ever seen or witnessed a computer fan that turned counter clockwise?
>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but ever looked at a fan from
>> the back? Most have screw mount points on both sides...
> Yes, of course but even if you turn the fan around and mount it the opposite
> way the motor still turns the same way.

Think about it GMAN.....looking at it from one side it is turning
clockwise, and if you look at it from the other side it is turning
counter-clockwise.

From: GMAN on
In article <M7mdnSCVBcN08HrWnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, OldHobo <OldHobo(a)nilspam.xyz> wrote:

>GMAN wrote:
>> In article <24scu510gh70ek3ea0ot08ufo15fuaocqp(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
> <Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:

> clockwise?
>>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but ever looked at a fan from
>>> the back? Most have screw mount points on both sides...
>> Yes, of course but even if you turn the fan around and mount it the opposite
>> way the motor still turns the same way.
>
>Think about it GMAN.....looking at it from one side it is turning
>clockwise, and if you look at it from the other side it is turning
>counter-clockwise.

Absolutely, I know what you are getting at, but what i am saying is , short of
reversing the positive and negative terminals of the fan, the motor only
spins one way.

The proper direction for an ATX power supply is to draw heat up and away from
the processor and out the back opening of the PS. So the PS fan should be
exhausting air, not drawing it in from the back. Now the BTX design can be
diffferent.
From: OldHobo on

GMAN wrote:
> In article <M7mdnSCVBcN08HrWnZ2dnUVZ_gadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, OldHobo <OldHobo(a)nilspam.xyz> wrote:
>>
>> GMAN wrote:

>> clockwise?
>>> Yes, of course but even if you turn the fan around and mount it the opposite
>>> way the motor still turns the same way.
>> Think about it GMAN.....looking at it from one side it is turning
>> clockwise, and if you look at it from the other side it is turning
>> counter-clockwise.
>>
> Absolutely, I know what you are getting at, but what i am saying is , short of
> reversing the positive and negative terminals of the fan, the motor only
> spins one way.
>
> The proper direction for an ATX power supply is to draw heat up and away from
> the processor and out the back opening of the PS. So the PS fan should be
> exhausting air, not drawing it in from the back. Now the BTX design can be
> diffferent.

With that I can agree. I have never seen an ATX power supply that blows
air into the case. So perhaps the OP has a unit that was improperly
assembled with the fan either mounted backwards or the wires to the fan
connector inadvertently switched during assembly of the unit.

Which ever, I hope he has the problem sorted out by now.

From: "nobody >" on
me wrote:
> On Fri, 07 May 2010 17:27:19 GMT, Winniethepooh(a)100acrewoods.org
> (GMAN) wrote:
>
>> In article <i847u51mln1i5ggn8f913t2e3rl8ltgcbh(a)4ax.com>, me <noemail(a)nothere.com> wrote:
>>> OK... I live in the dark ages... but what's with "modern" power
>>> supplies blowing INTO the case instead of out of it? Pushing hot air
>>> in can't possibly be good - why not blow it right out and let the draw
>>> cool the rest of the case?
>>>
>>> Are most of you opening up your PS and reversing these back-asswards
>>> fans?
>> I have never known a power supply that was purposely designed to blow air in.
>> Most likey the person in China or wherever the PS was built, accidently
>> mounted the fan bASSackwards!!!!
>
> I dunno... I did some web searching to enhance my knowledge before
> posting and it seemed somewhat common.

I do remember a fair number of "name brand" ATX computers pulling air in
and blowing it DOWN thru a special baffle to the CPU (typically PII/III
and Slot A Athlons) This was fairly decent for colling the CPU in those
days.
From: Steven Saunderson on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:13:39 -0400, OldHobo <OldHobo(a)nilspam.xyz> wrote:

> With that I can agree. I have never seen an ATX power supply that blows
> air into the case. So perhaps the OP has a unit that was improperly
> assembled with the fan either mounted backwards or the wires to the fan
> connector inadvertently switched during assembly of the unit.

Is it safe to reverse the connections on a fan ? I think these fans
contain electronics and I doubt they would be too happy about polarity
reversal.

Cheers,
--
Steven