From: Ian Pooper on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 16:31:03 +0100, Huge wrote:

>>> Heh. Someone got a new Intel box recently!
>>
>> But before that I had an iG5 (which is going to Geneva to do dialup, or
>> slow ASDL-on demand) and that fairly flew compared to a G4.
>>
>> And yes, I have a InteliMac and Anne has a MBP, and they *really* are
>> noticeably faster than my Macs were before. I'm not talking about
>> numbers here, just about let's do this Ooooooooo!
>
> is there anyway i can emulate a intelprocessor?

Sheesh! Obviously, "Huge" does not refer to your I.Q. Can I emulate a
Jaguar with my Vauxhall?

From: Rowland McDonnell on
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Huge <hugeone12nospam(a)britishtelecominternetdotcom> writes:
> > Peter Ceresole wrote:

> >> But before that I had an iG5 (which is going to Geneva to do dialup, or
> >> slow ASDL-on demand) and that fairly flew compared to a G4.
> >>
> >> And yes, I have a InteliMac and Anne has a MBP, and they *really* are
> >> noticeably faster than my Macs were before. I'm not talking about
> >> numbers here, just about let's do this Ooooooooo!
> >
> > is there anyway i can emulate a intelprocessor?
>
> Not at a reasonable speed.

<cough>

A G4 can emulate an Intel 4004 massively more quickly than the original
can execute code.

/Which/ Intel CPU are you thinking of?

Back in the olden days, there was Soft Windows which let Macs run
Windoze. PPC only, IIRC - it worked out dog slow (yes, I did try it out
on a few occasions), but if you can find a copy you might be able to run
obsolete Windoze on an obsolete emulated Intel CPU at a decent pace on a
G4. For whatever it'd be worth...

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter Ceresole) wrote:

> >> Put in as much as you can. 1gig is tight, anything over 1.5gig is
> >> fine.
> >
> >Well of course it's sluggish. It's a G4. Adding RAM will maqke it a bit
> >livelier, but really it's just putting lipstick on a pig.
>
> Heh. Someone got a new Intel box recently!

My new 3.06GHz C2D Intel box has less snappy than the 2.5GHz 4G5 it
replaced.

> It's a shame Snow Leopard isn't compiled for PPC, that's faster than
> Leopard on the same hardware.

MacOS 7.6 is quicker than System 7.5.5 - in part because Apple dropped
support for the non-32 bit clean Macs, and so could make it all much
more CPU efficient (but slap in some more RAM: you'll need it). I
suspect something similar is going on with MacOS X 10.6.

btw, run nothing less than MacOS 7.6.1 on a PPC. Prior to that, any
error in PPC code caused a Type 11 error which requires an immediate
forced reboot with no chance to save anything.

If you can run 7.6, don't run 7.5.5 if you can avoid it. Really. 7.1
is almost as useful at 7.5.5, if you add various bolt-on goodies
(standard fitments from Apple).

Rowland.