From: Huge on
Hi i have a 100gb drive in this beauty . yes i downgraded from the
unibody as its not what i wanted. I have one question, i need to
increase my hard drive size to something like 250-500gb can anyone tell
me if i get a SATA drive will it be backward compatible with ATA/100
which is in this machine.

or do i have to buy more expensive drives.

Also is 1gb ram ok for leopard? it seems to be a bit sluggish and is
there any way i can downgrade my external firewire drive to put leopard
back on it as its got snow leopard and wont boot my g4 in an emergency,

Many thanks
From: J. J. Lodder on
Huge <hugeone12nospam(a)britishtelecominternetdotcom> wrote:

> Hi i have a 100gb drive in this beauty . yes i downgraded from the
> unibody as its not what i wanted. I have one question, i need to
> increase my hard drive size to something like 250-500gb can anyone tell
> me if i get a SATA drive will it be backward compatible with ATA/100
> which is in this machine.

No.

> or do i have to buy more expensive drives.

Yes, and 320 GB is the biggest you'll find.

> Also is 1gb ram ok for leopard?

Yes, but depending on what more you want to do.

> it seems to be a bit sluggish and is
> there any way i can downgrade my external firewire drive to put leopard
> back on it as its got snow leopard and wont boot my g4 in an emergency,

Just instal.
You may need to change the partition scheme first,

Jan
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 09:57:25 +0100, Huge
<hugeone12nospam(a)britishtelecominternetdotcom> wrote:

>Hi i have a 100gb drive in this beauty . yes i downgraded from the
>unibody as its not what i wanted. I have one question, i need to
>increase my hard drive size to something like 250-500gb can anyone tell
>me if i get a SATA drive will it be backward compatible with ATA/100
>which is in this machine.

SATA drives don't fit ATA sockets, you need an ATA drive. They max out
at 320gig, I think.
http://www.span.com/index.php?cPath=23_503

>Also is 1gb ram ok for leopard? it seems to be a bit sluggish

Put in as much as you can. 1gig is tight, anything over 1.5gig is
fine.

>and is
>there any way i can downgrade my external firewire drive to put leopard
>back on it as its got snow leopard and wont boot my g4 in an emergency,

Reformat it - with APM partitioning! - and install Leopard on it
again.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Storage space and computing power are dirt cheap; our task isn't
to "use them efficiently," it's to "squander them creatively."
From: Peter Ceresole on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> >Also is 1gb ram ok for leopard? it seems to be a bit sluggish
>
> Put in as much as you can. 1gig is tight, anything over 1.5gig is
> fine.

Well of course it's sluggish. It's a G4. Adding RAM will maqke it a bit
livelier, but really it's just putting lipstick on a pig.
--
Peter
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 11:18:55 +0100, peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk (Peter
Ceresole) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> >Also is 1gb ram ok for leopard? it seems to be a bit sluggish
>>
>> Put in as much as you can. 1gig is tight, anything over 1.5gig is
>> fine.
>
>Well of course it's sluggish. It's a G4. Adding RAM will maqke it a bit
>livelier, but really it's just putting lipstick on a pig.

Heh. Someone got a new Intel box recently!

It's a shame Snow Leopard isn't compiled for PPC, that's faster than
Leopard on the same hardware.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I love children, especially when they cry, for then someone takes them away.
-- Nancy Mitford