From: Jeff Strickland on

"James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message

> "KOS" <computerstuff2(a)excite.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
>> powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply, I have read
>> that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
>> electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
>> not do? Thanks
>> KOS
>
> It's not dangerous to replace the power supply unless you keep it plugged
> in while doing it. NEVER keep it plugged in while working inside your
> computer.

And the danger there is to the computer, not to the person.

From: KOS on
On Jul 23, 10:55 am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote in messagenews:i27t13$21km$1(a)adenine.netfront.net...
>

> > "KOS" <computerstu...(a)excite.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
> >> powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply,  I have read
> >> that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
> >> electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
> >> not do? Thanks
> >> KOS
>
> > It's not dangerous to replace the power supply unless you keep it plugged
> > in while doing it.  NEVER keep it plugged in while working inside your
> > computer.
>
> And the danger there is to the computer, not to the person.

PAUL

what about this power supply?
http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=5737

does this look like it would fit the gateway 500s? I have a newton
power supply now model NPS 200PB
From: James D. Andrews on

On Jul 22, 6:55 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote:
> "KOS" <computerstu...(a)excite.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 22, 3:42 pm, KOS <computerstu...(a)excite.com> wrote:

> You might find something adequate atwww.newegg.com

SNIP SNIP SNIP

> They have 200W-250W PSUs ranging from $14.99 + $4.99 shipping - $27.99 +
> $9.20 shipping.
>
> REMEMBER: You have to know if your connectors are 24-pin, 20-pin, or
> 20-pin
> + 4-pin to select a PSU that will power your motherboard without adapters.
>
> I wouldn't go too high a wattage or price.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ----

Hi there. Okay, so what do you think I should do for the power supply,
as far as watts- 200w-250? What is good to be on the safe side . the
current one says on the label 200w max...

Now as far as the connectors...I dont know what they are all i can
tell you is that I have a Intel (essex) Pent 4 - 1.8GHZ (400MHZ)
motherboard.. So I dont know what the connectors are though.
thanks
KOS

I'd suggest 250W-300W for that system, maybe a little higher, but unless you
have or plan to add a lot of new stuff, you won't need to go up to 500W.

From: James D. Andrews on

On Jul 23, 10:55 am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote in
> messagenews:i27t13$21km$1(a)adenine.netfront.net...

what about this power supply?
http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=5737

does this look like it would fit the gateway 500s? I have a newton
power supply now model NPS 200PB

> > I took down the following # from the powersupply- Newton Power, S/N
> > HXTO followed by a long number, Model NPS200P6
> > output 5v 200w max

Notice earlier you stated the model was NPS200P6, now you identify it as
NPS200PB. An oversight I'm sure. But it's a horse of a different color.
You also indicate there is a "long number" for the S/N. You need to copy
down that long number S/N and any other numbers on it. Looking at all of
these numbers to see if it works with the one you found. Some sites vary as
to how they look up parts.

From: Paul on
KOS wrote:
> On Jul 23, 10:55 am, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote in messagenews:i27t13$21km$1(a)adenine.netfront.net...
>>

>>> "KOS" <computerstu...(a)excite.com> wrote in message
>>> It's not dangerous to replace the power supply unless you keep it plugged
>>> in while doing it. NEVER keep it plugged in while working inside your
>>> computer.
>> And the danger there is to the computer, not to the person.
>
> PAUL
>
> what about this power supply?
> http://www.skyline-eng.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=5737
>
> does this look like it would fit the gateway 500s? I have a newton
> power supply now model NPS 200PB

If you've satisfied yourself that:

1) The form factor and mounting holes needed (i.e. to transfer the mounting
bracket from the old one) are all present.

2) The power rating is greater than or equal to the old one. In the
Skyline advert, they don't give a closeup view of the label on the supply.

3) It has enough connectors. That usually isn't a problem, but it's part
of the checking process.

I see two competing interests here in the selection process. There are
the mechanical mounting details. You need to look at the supply you have
currently, and see if there is a bracket that fastens to it, as part of the
mounting. It would be best to get a supply that supports the bracket. In
that case, one of the Skyline products might be the best choice.

If I was doing it myself, I would prefer to use a standard ATX (Newegg or
equivalent, something where I can read the customer reviews to see if
it is a quality product), say a 300 or 350W, which gives a little bit
of overcapacity. Overcapacity is OK, as long as a supply doesn't have
minimum load requirements that are hard to meet.

But the thing is, if there is no way, using that computer case, to
properly support a standard ATX, then the Skyline might be the one
to get.

I still think, you need to double check that part number. There
are probably some more digits after the NPS-200PB-xxxx. Also,
if you can manage to find your 500S details on the Gateway site,
you may be able to find the Gateway part number (as mentioned in
the Skyline advert). When Gateway specifies power supplies, they
have their number, which would call up, up to three different
manufacturer power supply part numbers. That is why the
Skyline advert has a number like 6500457 (Gateway part number),
as well as the Newton NPS-200PB-xxxx.

So far, I don't see a lot of drama here, just the need to
get the mechanical mounting details right. All my standard
ATX cases here, have the power supply fastened by four
rear screws. If your computer case doesn't mount the
supply that way, then somehow, you'd need to secure the
replacement supply in that case.

Your old supply was 200W. Perhaps the 12V rail was rated at 6 or 7 amps.
Generally, if I was blindfolded and put in front of a P4 machine,
I'd specify 300-350W and 12V @ 15A without looking at the label,
for best general power needs. It is possible to use lower power
supplies, but a person doing so, has to be absolutely assured
that the computer is not overloading the supply. I could be,
in fact, that Skyline is using a 300-350W chassis and using
it as an exact replacement for your 200W. It may be the reason
several of their supplies are the same price - it could be a
"one size fits all" solution, with the extra mounting holes added
so it can be used with the various Gateway computer cases.

If I was in the room with you, getting as much info off the
existing unit as possible, would all be part of determining
who I'd buy it from, and what I'd be looking for. Many supplies
will fit the bill, but some of them may make the job easier than
others. If the computer case was defacto standard design,
with mounting holes on the back, we'd probably have a couple
hundred supplies to choose from, to do the replacement.

HTH,
Paul
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6