From: KOS on
Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply, I have read
that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
not do? Thanks
KOS
From: Paul on
KOS wrote:
> Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
> powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply, I have read
> that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
> electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
> not do? Thanks
> KOS

The output of the power supply, uses various low DC voltages. The wires
have insulation on them. The connectors are designed with the intention
of not letting you get in contact with electricity. Those factors are
what helps with the safety.

There would be more potential danger, if you removed the cover from
the top of the ATX supply. If you leave the top cover in place, then
there is little danger.

This article will help with some background information.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Unplugging the computer from the wall, removes the input power.
You wait 30 second after that, before working on the PC. That
gives time for residual +5VSB to drain. At that point, it should
then be safe to unplug the various cables. You do the same thing,
before changing memory modules. Remove the power, then wait 30 seconds
for the supply to drain, so none of the components inside are
getting power any more.

Before removing all the cabling, make diagrams and notes of where it
all goes. It can be intimidating the first time you do it, and
if you've made notes and diagrams in advance, that will make
the job easier to complete.

For more advice on power supplies, you need to tell us the
make and model of computer, such as "HP Pavilion 1234". That
way, we can get some idea what challenges you'll face.

Supplies vary in quality, and the price charged, is not always
a guarantee you're getting a good one. Finding customer
reviews can help you find the good ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=17-165-023

"I bought this to replace a customers power supply. It worked
for 40 days. I guess you get what you pay for."

Those are the kind of review comments, that can identify the less
useful purchases.

Paul
From: James D. Andrews on

"KOS" <computerstuff2(a)excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
> powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply, I have read
> that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
> electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
> not do? Thanks
> KOS

It's not dangerous to replace the power supply unless you keep it plugged in
while doing it. NEVER keep it plugged in while working inside your
computer.

You should never try to repair or open the power supply unit, however.

If your power supply unit (PSU) is making funny noises, you should go ahead
and replace it before it causes damage to something else in your computer
like your drives or your motherboard. Depending on the model, you can get a
PSU pretty cheap, or if it's a killer gaming rig, you'll probably have to
fork out some cash.

Replacing a PSU is rather easy - 4 screws and a handful of wires. But you
need to make sure it's of sufficient wattage, and you must make sure that
you connect the proper wires when you replace the unit.

Not knowing how old your computer is or what model, can't say what your
motherboard power connectors are, whether a single 24-pin, a 20-pin + a
4-pin, or something different (my old Dell uses a 20-pin + a 6-pin
connector). Obviously, the new PSU you buy needs to have the same
connectors, or you'll need adapters - much more complicated, but possible.

If you don't know what I'm talking about regarding pins, look it up before
you buy. There are plenty of tutorials on-line. Learn what you're dealing
with before you start.

From: gnu / linux on
On Jul 21, 5:40 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote:
> "KOS" <computerstu...(a)excite.com> wrote in message

> > Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
> > powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply,  I have read
> > that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
> > electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
> > not do? Thanks
> > KOS
>
> It's not dangerous to replace the power supply unless you keep it plugged in
> while doing it.  NEVER keep it plugged in while working inside your
> computer.
>
> You should never try to repair or open the power supply unit, however.
>
> If your power supply unit (PSU) is making funny noises, you should go ahead
> and replace it before it causes damage to something else in your computer
> like your drives or your motherboard.  Depending on the model, you can get a
> PSU pretty cheap, or if it's a killer gaming rig, you'll probably have to
> fork out some cash.
>
> Replacing a PSU is rather easy - 4 screws and a handful of wires.  But you
> need to make sure it's of sufficient wattage, and you must make sure that
> you connect the proper wires when you replace the unit.
>
> Not knowing how old your computer is or what model, can't say what your
> motherboard power connectors are, whether a single 24-pin, a 20-pin + a
> 4-pin, or something different (my old Dell uses a 20-pin + a 6-pin
> connector).  Obviously, the new PSU you buy needs to have the same
> connectors, or you'll need adapters - much more complicated, but possible..
>
> If you don't know what I'm talking about regarding pins, look it up before
> you buy.  There are plenty of tutorials on-line.  Learn what you're dealing
> with before you start.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---

$ 50.00 & 4 screws - EASY job unless your failing unit is riveted in
(Dell, HP) ...
From: KOS on
On Jul 21, 8:30 pm, "gnu / linux" <rob.fr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 5:40 pm, "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandr...(a)att.net> wrote:
>

> > "KOS" <computerstu...(a)excite.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi, I have a desktop that is making a loud noise. coming from the
> > > powersupply. I want to replace the entire power supply,  I have read
> > > that I should not do this as it is dangerous and I could get
> > > electrocuted... Is this true, is this something that lay people should
> > > not do? Thanks
> > > KOS
>
> > It's not dangerous to replace the power supply unless you keep it plugged in
> > while doing it.  NEVER keep it plugged in while working inside your
> > computer.
>
> > You should never try to repair or open the power supply unit, however.
>
> > If your power supply unit (PSU) is making funny noises, you should go ahead
> > and replace it before it causes damage to something else in your computer
> > like your drives or your motherboard.  Depending on the model, you can get a
> > PSU pretty cheap, or if it's a killer gaming rig, you'll probably have to
> > fork out some cash.
>
> > Replacing a PSU is rather easy - 4 screws and a handful of wires.  But you
> > need to make sure it's of sufficient wattage, and you must make sure that
> > you connect the proper wires when you replace the unit.
>
> > Not knowing how old your computer is or what model, can't say what your
> > motherboard power connectors are, whether a single 24-pin, a 20-pin + a
> > 4-pin, or something different (my old Dell uses a 20-pin + a 6-pin
> > connector).  Obviously, the new PSU you buy needs to have the same
> > connectors, or you'll need adapters - much more complicated, but possible.
>
> > If you don't know what I'm talking about regarding pins, look it up before
> > you buy.  There are plenty of tutorials on-line.  Learn what you're dealing
> > with before you start.
>
> > --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...(a)netfront.net ---
>
> $ 50.00 & 4 screws - EASY job unless your failing unit is riveted in
> (Dell, HP) ...- Hide quoted text -

Hi everybody

I opened the case of my gateway- its an older gateway 2000E- i think
thats what it is called, from the year 2000.. A desktop
I took down the following # from the powersupply- Newton Power, S/N
HXTO followed by a long number, Model NPS200P6

output 5v 200w max

so what kind of powersupply should I get, I just want to replace with
what I have.
Also, whats a good place to get one at a decent price
thanks for all your help!!
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Need help with Ipod.