From: Robert Roebling on
Ulrich Telle wrote:

> BTW supporting the wxWidgets printing framework in wxPdfDocument is
> still work in progress. This is more complex than I estimated

Does wxPdfDocument have a wxDC interface?

Robert

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Ulrich Telle on
Robert Roebling schrieb:
> Ulrich Telle wrote:
>
>> BTW supporting the wxWidgets printing framework in wxPdfDocument is
>> still work in progress. This is more complex than I estimated
>
> Does wxPdfDocument have a wxDC interface?

Not yet, but the next version, wxPdfDocument 0.9, will have such an
interface. This is planned in three steps:
1) wxPdfDC with support for Adobe Reader standard fonts
2) as 1) + support for TrueType fonts
3) as 2) + support for OpenType fonts

Regards,

Ulrich

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Robert Roebling on
Ulrich Telle wrote:
> Robert Roebling schrieb:
> > Ulrich Telle wrote:
> >
> >> BTW supporting the wxWidgets printing framework in wxPdfDocument is
> >> still work in progress. This is more complex than I estimated
> >
> > Does wxPdfDocument have a wxDC interface?
>
> Not yet, but the next version, wxPdfDocument 0.9, will have such an
> interface. This is planned in three steps:
> 1) wxPdfDC with support for Adobe Reader standard fonts
> 2) as 1) + support for TrueType fonts
> 3) as 2) + support for OpenType fonts

That would be truely nice. Would you try to fetch the TT or OT
font from a wxFont structure? That would be required for getting
WYSIWYG, otherwise a different font would be selected for drawing
on screen and for PDF output.

As for integrating with the wxWidgets printing framework, have
a look at wxPrintFactory, which is what is used for selecting
printing frameworks at runtime (such as the PS and GNOME print
ends under GTK+).

From: Ulrich Telle on
Robert Roebling schrieb:
>>> Ulrich Telle wrote:
>> ... the next version, wxPdfDocument 0.9, will have such an
>> interface. This is planned in three steps:
>> 1) wxPdfDC with support for Adobe Reader standard fonts
>> 2) as 1) + support for TrueType fonts
>> 3) as 2) + support for OpenType fonts
>
> That would be truely nice.

I know. :-)

It would certainly add value to wxPdfDocument.

> Would you try to fetch the TT or OT
> font from a wxFont structure? That would be required for getting
> WYSIWYG, otherwise a different font would be selected for drawing
> on screen and for PDF output.

As said in step 1 there will be only support for the Adobe Reader
standard fonts, that is, Helvetica/Arial, Times Roman and Courier,
meaning in most cases NO WYSIWYG.

In step 2 and 3 I plan to fetch the TT or OT font from wxFont, that is,
I have to locate the TT or OT font file and to extract all needed
information from those files "on the fly". The latter represents the
hard part, since for the current version of wxPdfDocument this font
information has to be generated in advance.

Since wxPdfDocument already supports subsetting for TT fonts, which
requires some analyzing of the TT font file, I'm pretty sure I manage to
extract all needed information without introducing new dependencies (on
the freefont library for example).

For OT fonts the situation is more difficult. Currently wxPdfDocument
supports OT fonts in Unicode build only, without subsetting. I don't
know much about the internals of OT fonts so I can't estimate how much
work it will be to analyze the font files to the extend needed by
wxPdfDocument.

> As for integrating with the wxWidgets printing framework, have
> a look at wxPrintFactory, which is what is used for selecting
> printing frameworks at runtime (such as the PS and GNOME print
> ends under GTK+).

Thanks. I'll take a look. Full integration with the wxWidgets printing
framework will probably be step 4 (or 3 if I postpone OT font support).

Ulrich

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Ian Britten on
Ulrich Telle wrote:

>> Does wxPdfDocument have a wxDC interface?
>
> Not yet, but the next version, wxPdfDocument 0.9, will have such an
> interface. This is planned in three steps:
> 1) wxPdfDC with support for Adobe Reader standard fonts
> 2) as 1) + support for TrueType fonts
> 3) as 2) + support for OpenType fonts

Thanks for the details about the text handling.

Can you provide any details about the rest of the planned
DC-like functionality?

[ FYI - In case you're soliciting input, priorities, etc... ]

As someone who is producing *large* printouts (Maps, etc), I'm
especially interested in line/polygon/image handling, etc.
Additionally, the real silver-bullet that I'm looking at the
wxPDFDC (?) for is proper/native support for alpha (transparency)
while printing.

Rasterizing to do a large printout isn't practical (Consumes
huge amounts of memory), and other vector approaches (PS) don't
support alpha. PDF is the best looking solution I see!
[ Unless someone else has a better solution? ]

Thanks for any info!
Ian

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org