From: Ulrich Telle on
Ian Britten schrieb:
> Thanks for the details about the text handling.
>
> Can you provide any details about the rest of the planned
> DC-like functionality?

I plan to implement all wxDC functionality which makes sense for a
vector oriented format like PDF. So pixel oriented methods like
FloodFill will not be supported. Support for most wxDC::Draw... methods
will not be a big deal since wxPdfDocument already has methods for
drawing lines, arcs, circles, ellipses, polygons, and bezier curves.

Placing of images (wxImage) is possible - this is done by converting the
image to PNG and embedding the resulting PNG in PDF. Since bitmaps can
be converted to images, this allows to place icons and bitmaps as well.

Clipping and gradient fills are also supported by wxPdfDocument.

> As someone who is producing *large* printouts (Maps, etc), I'm
> especially interested in line/polygon/image handling, etc.

See above. wxPdfDocument supports all of these. So many of the DC
methods will be quite simple to implement.

> Additionally, the real silver-bullet that I'm looking at the
> wxPDFDC (?) for is proper/native support for alpha (transparency)
> while printing.

wxPdfDocument supports alpha transparency, for drawing and filling color
as well as for images (in the latter case the alpha channel is
translated to an image mask).

> Rasterizing to do a large printout isn't practical (Consumes
> huge amounts of memory), and other vector approaches (PS) don't
> support alpha. PDF is the best looking solution I see!
> [ Unless someone else has a better solution? ]

As said wxPdfDocument already has alpha support, although I don't know
whether the current API is sufficient to fulfill all needs. But I'm open
to any suggestions.

As I stated in a previous posting there is not yet a time schedule for
wxPdfDC (using wxPdfDocument). Keep in mind that wxPdfDocument is a
one-man-show running in my spare time, so I have to ask for patience.

Regards,

Ulrich

For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help(a)lists.wxwidgets.org

From: Kit Bishop on
Ian Britten wrote:
> Ulrich Telle wrote:
>
>>> Does wxPdfDocument have a wxDC interface?
>>
>> Not yet, but the next version, wxPdfDocument 0.9, will have such an
>> interface. This is planned in three steps:
>> 1) wxPdfDC with support for Adobe Reader standard fonts
>> 2) as 1) + support for TrueType fonts
>> 3) as 2) + support for OpenType fonts
>
> Thanks for the details about the text handling.
>
> Can you provide any details about the rest of the planned
> DC-like functionality?
>
> [ FYI - In case you're soliciting input, priorities, etc... ]
>
> As someone who is producing *large* printouts (Maps, etc), I'm
> especially interested in line/polygon/image handling, etc.
> Additionally, the real silver-bullet that I'm looking at the
> wxPDFDC (?) for is proper/native support for alpha (transparency)
> while printing.
>
> Rasterizing to do a large printout isn't practical (Consumes
> huge amounts of memory), and other vector approaches (PS) don't
> support alpha. PDF is the best looking solution I see!
> [ Unless someone else has a better solution? ]

XPS???