From: John John - MVP on
Steve Mc wrote:
> Thank you.
> Been I long time since I DOS'ed anything.
>
> I asked for all sub folders and no individual files, but didn't realize that
> was still going to be overkill.
> Is there a command that would maybe print just one subfolder from the
> directory I'm changed to ?
>
> Such as:
> My Documents\My Music
> My Documents\My Pictures
> etc.

Omit the /s switch and you will get the folder list from the current
directory only:

dir /b /a:d >c:\dirlist.txt

> Also, is the a:d requesting also those drives also ? It only printed the C
> stuff, but a and d were not being used at the time ?

No, /a is the attribute switch, it tells DIR to only return objects or
files with certain attributes, and "d" is the "Directory" attribute, it
instructs DIR to only return directory listings. As another poster
noted, you can get help on the command by using the /? switch:

dir /?

John
From: Steve Mc on
>> Is there a command that would maybe print just one subfolder from the
>> directory I'm changed to ?
>>
>> Such as:
>> My Documents\My Music
>> My Documents\My Pictures
>> etc.
>
> Omit the /s switch and you will get the folder list from the current
> directory only:
>
> dir /b /a:d >c:\dirlist.txt

Thank you , that's what I was looking for.

One last DOS question, if you don't mind.

I'm trying to change directories ,via the CD command, to my external hard
drives, but it doesn't seem to be working.

such as from main command prompt C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>
cd:\my documents goes to that directory , but my externals G:\ and
N:\ I can't get cd to recognize.
In Explorer, they are showing as:

My Book Essential (G) and
My Book (N)

Thanks again,

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:44:55 -0700, "Steve Mc"
<stevemc209(a)dnaglobal.net> wrote:

> One last DOS question, if you don't mind.
>
> I'm trying to change directories ,via the CD command, to my external hard
> drives, but it doesn't seem to be working.
>
> such as from main command prompt C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>
> cd:\my documents goes to that directory , but my externals G:\ and
> N:\ I can't get cd to recognize.

You don't switch drives with CD

Simply type g: or n:

That will take you to the drive. Then you can use CD to switch to
whatever folder you want in the drive.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Steve Mc on
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 06:44:55 -0700, "Steve Mc"
> <stevemc209(a)dnaglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> One last DOS question, if you don't mind.
>>
>> I'm trying to change directories ,via the CD command, to my external hard
>> drives, but it doesn't seem to be working.
>>
>> such as from main command prompt C:\Documents and Settings\Steve>
>> cd:\my documents goes to that directory , but my externals G:\
>> and
>> N:\ I can't get cd to recognize.
>

> You don't switch drives with CD
>
> Simply type g: or n:
>
> That will take you to the drive. Then you can use CD to switch to
> whatever folder you want in the drive.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Perfect. Thank you so much.

Steve

--

Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:14:10 -0700, "Steve Mc"
<stevemc209(a)dnaglobal.net> wrote:

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> > You don't switch drives with CD
> >
> > Simply type g: or n:
> >
> > That will take you to the drive. Then you can use CD to switch to
> > whatever folder you want in the drive.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
> Perfect. Thank you so much.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup