From: Tony on
chris wrote:

> Yup. It has all that. And yet Firefox still doesn't know how to deal
> with it???
> Thanks for the help.

Did you put your test php file in the same directory location as the
file you're trying to browse to?

--
Tony Evans
blog -> http://perceptionistruth.com/

From: chris on
On 16/03/10 13:35, Tony wrote:
> chris wrote:
>
>> Yup. It has all that. And yet Firefox still doesn't know how to deal
>> with it???
>> Thanks for the help.
>
> Did you put your test php file in the same directory location as the
> file you're trying to browse to?

Yup. Both are in /var/www/. I tried setting up a cgi-bin/ directory but
couldn't get it to work.

This was just to have a quick looksee for evaluation, so I'm not too
bothered about correct paths etc.

From: Tony on
chris wrote:

> On 16/03/10 13:35, Tony wrote:
>> chris wrote:
>>
>>> Yup. It has all that. And yet Firefox still doesn't know how to deal
>>> with it???
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Did you put your test php file in the same directory location as the
>> file you're trying to browse to?
>
> Yup. Both are in /var/www/. I tried setting up a cgi-bin/ directory but
> couldn't get it to work.
>
> This was just to have a quick looksee for evaluation, so I'm not too
> bothered about correct paths etc.

Ok, so my understanding, you have somefile.php in /var/www which works
(your test file) and anotherfile.php in /var/www which Firefox tries to
'save-as'?

What does 'file /var/www/somefile.php' and 'file
/var/www/anotherfile.php' show from a shell?

From: chris on
On 16/03/10 14:31, Tony wrote:
> chris wrote:

>>> Did you put your test php file in the same directory location as the
>>> file you're trying to browse to?
>>
>> Yup. Both are in /var/www/. I tried setting up a cgi-bin/ directory but
>> couldn't get it to work.
>>
>> This was just to have a quick looksee for evaluation, so I'm not too
>> bothered about correct paths etc.
>
> Ok, so my understanding, you have somefile.php in /var/www which works
> (your test file) and anotherfile.php in /var/www which Firefox tries to
> 'save-as'?

Correct.

> What does 'file /var/www/somefile.php' and 'file
> /var/www/anotherfile.php' show from a shell?

Good question. I'm not at the machine at the moment, I'll check tonight.
From: anahata on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:28:22 +0000, chris wrote:

> Yup. It has all that. And yet Firefox still doesn't know how to deal
> with it???

Just to clarify one point: I doubt it has anything to do with Firefox.
Firefox just sends a GET request for the file.
When Apache receives a GET request for your PHP file, it's Apache that
decides whether to send the file contents (i.e. treat like HTML) or
whether to invoke the PHP interpreter on it. To make that decision, it
can rely (depending on configuration) on:
1) The file name ending in ".php"
2) The file being marked executable
3) The file contents as checked against your systems "magic" data file
4) Maybe something else (my expertise is running out here)

It's a silly question, but I assume you are fetching both using an
http:// URL and not file:/// ...

--
Anahata
anahata(a)treewind.co.uk ==//== 01638 720444

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Bash/Dash problem
Next: UKPost problem