From: Tony van der Hoff on
On 16/03/10 16:19, anahata wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:28:22 +0000, chris wrote:
>
>> Yup. It has all that. And yet Firefox still doesn't know how to deal
>> with it???
>
> Just to clarify one point: I doubt it has anything to do with Firefox.
> Firefox just sends a GET request for the file.
> When Apache receives a GET request for your PHP file, it's Apache that
> decides whether to send the file contents (i.e. treat like HTML) or
> whether to invoke the PHP interpreter on it. To make that decision, it
> can rely (depending on configuration) on:
> 1) The file name ending in ".php"
> 2) The file being marked executable
> 3) The file contents as checked against your systems "magic" data file
> 4) Maybe something else (my expertise is running out here)
>
> It's a silly question, but I assume you are fetching both using an
> http:// URL and not file:/// ...

Yeah, Apache does that, if, before the PHP can generate the HTML, it
outputs a text error message. Poorly written software might well do that.

I suggest you actually save the file it's trying to make you do so, and
see what it contains.

My money's on
"Required folder templates_c does not exist or is not writable.

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony(a)vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |
From: Chris on
chris wrote:

> On 16/03/10 14:31, Tony wrote:
>> What does 'file /var/www/somefile.php' and 'file
>> /var/www/anotherfile.php' show from a shell?
>
> Good question. I'm not at the machine at the moment, I'll check
tonight.

Both files come back as: "PHP script text"

From: Chris on
anahata wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:28:22 +0000, chris wrote:
>
>> Yup. It has all that. And yet Firefox still doesn't know how to deal
>> with it???
>
> Just to clarify one point: I doubt it has anything to do with Firefox.
> Firefox just sends a GET request for the file.

OK.

> When Apache receives a GET request for your PHP file, it's Apache that
> decides whether to send the file contents (i.e. treat like HTML) or
> whether to invoke the PHP interpreter on it. To make that decision, it
> can rely (depending on configuration) on:
> 1) The file name ending in ".php"

The file does.

> 2) The file being marked executable

I get the same result whether it is or isn't.

> 3) The file contents as checked against your systems "magic" data file

'file' states it's a php script.

Yup. http://127.0.0.1/install.php

From: Chris on
Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Yeah, Apache does that, if, before the PHP can generate the HTML, it
> outputs a text error message. Poorly written software might well do that.
>
> I suggest you actually save the file it's trying to make you do so, and
> see what it contains.
>
> My money's on
> "Required folder templates_c does not exist or is not writable.

'Fraid not. The downloaded file is a straight copy of install.php.
Good thought, though. I didn't think of that.

This is really frustrating. Why won't that php file work? Other php files
from collabtive are working as much as can be expected, but not the
installation one. Which is kind of key...grrr
From: Tony Houghton on
In <hnnhk7$eg9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
chris <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble installing the above. It's a small project management
> server that is installed via a php script in the browser. However,
> whenever I try to load the install.php script Firefox wants to download
> the file not run it.
>
> Trying a noddy homemade php script (phpinfo()) runs fine.
>
> The LAMP is installed and running fine AFAICT, but why won't it run the
> install script? I'm no php expert and am wondering whether it's a config
> issue.
>
> Anyone have any pointers as to where I may be going wrong?
>
> I'm using php5, MySQL 5.1, apache 2.2 on a Mepis 8.5 VM (based debian
> lenny).

Did you try to fetch it with Firefox, realise something was wrong on the
server which you fixed, but it still doesn't work after fixing the
problem? I've had that happen because Firefox caches the MIME type as
well as the content. Try clearing its cache at least as far back as the
first time you tried to fetch it. And/or try another browser.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last