From: kraut on

>>>Any error messages? does windows update indicate a failed update?
>>>
>>>Did you try stopping many processes in task manager before visiting
>>>windows
>>>update?
>>>If you did not, then once again, clear up the downloaded updates using the
>>>'fixit' before trying again.
>>>

>> No error messages of anykind. Update site always shows the updates
>> kb979909 and kb982168 as suceeding but they are always there the next
>> time when I go back and in the Windows add / remove programs the
>> update never show up (Yes I have the box checked to show updates) and
>> they show as being DLed but not installed at the update site.
>>
>> The only thing running in background other then what XP needs is the
>> Windows firewall and AVG Free antivirus which I stopped before the
>> last couple update attempts. I am one of these person that rather not
>> have a bunch of stuff running. I would rather run it manually and
>> know what is going on.
>
>Something else to try is removing .NET in add-remove programs, reinstall it
>from Microsoft, and then try windows update again.
>
>take note of the .NET versions you are removing so that you can re-install
>them from here:
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=.net&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic

I did the taskmanager and stopped anything that was not MS then ran
msconfig and under services unchecked all non MS and restarted system
in what it said was "Selective" mode and did the windows update AGAIN.
It showed all suceeded. Restarted system with normal startup.

Went to add / remove programs with updates showing and it showed one
of the updates there (KB979909) but not the other (KB982168).

Went back to Windows updates and it showed both KB979909 & KB982168 as
being DLed but needing to be installed even though add / remove
programs showed KB979909 as being installed.

I GIVE UP!!! I am pulling what little hair I have out!!!

From: Peter Foldes on
Here you go
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: 123Jim on

"kraut" <kraut3852(a)yahoo.comg> wrote in message

>>> No error messages of anykind. Update site always shows the updates
>>> kb979909 and kb982168 as suceeding but they are always there the next
>>> time when I go back and in the Windows add / remove programs the
>>> update never show up (Yes I have the box checked to show updates) and
>>> they show as being DLed but not installed at the update site.
>>>
>>> The only thing running in background other then what XP needs is the
>>> Windows firewall and AVG Free antivirus which I stopped before the
>>> last couple update attempts. I am one of these person that rather not
>>> have a bunch of stuff running. I would rather run it manually and
>>> know what is going on.
>>
>>Something else to try is removing .NET in add-remove programs, reinstall
>>it
>>from Microsoft, and then try windows update again.
>>
>>take note of the .NET versions you are removing so that you can re-install
>>them from here:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=.net&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic
>

> I did the taskmanager and stopped anything that was not MS then ran
> msconfig and under services unchecked all non MS and restarted system
> in what it said was "Selective" mode and did the windows update AGAIN.
> It showed all suceeded. Restarted system with normal startup.
>
> Went to add / remove programs with updates showing and it showed one
> of the updates there (KB979909) but not the other (KB982168).
>
> Went back to Windows updates and it showed both KB979909 & KB982168 as
> being DLed but needing to be installed even though add / remove
> programs showed KB979909 as being installed.
>
> I GIVE UP!!! I am pulling what little hair I have out!!!

Did you try removing .NET in Add Remove programs? there's probably
framework 2, 3 maybe 3.5, remove them all .. You need not reinstall them
until you need them . You probably have a program or two that needs them. ..
eventually .. the risk is that those programs might just behave broken, and
may not be programmed to warn of missing .NET frameworks.. but as long as
you keep that in mind . you don't need them till you need them.

From: kraut on

>>>Something else to try is removing .NET in add-remove programs, reinstall
>>>it
>>>from Microsoft, and then try windows update again.
>>>
>>>take note of the .NET versions you are removing so that you can re-install
>>>them from here:
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=.net&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic
>>

>> I did the taskmanager and stopped anything that was not MS then ran
>> msconfig and under services unchecked all non MS and restarted system
>> in what it said was "Selective" mode and did the windows update AGAIN.
>> It showed all suceeded. Restarted system with normal startup.
>>
>> Went to add / remove programs with updates showing and it showed one
>> of the updates there (KB979909) but not the other (KB982168).
>>
>> Went back to Windows updates and it showed both KB979909 & KB982168 as
>> being DLed but needing to be installed even though add / remove
>> programs showed KB979909 as being installed.
>>
>> I GIVE UP!!! I am pulling what little hair I have out!!!
>>

>Did you try removing .NET in Add Remove programs? there's probably
>framework 2, 3 maybe 3.5, remove them all .. You need not reinstall them
>until you need them . You probably have a program or two that needs them. ..
>eventually .. the risk is that those programs might just behave broken, and
>may not be programmed to warn of missing .NET frameworks.. but as long as
>you keep that in mind . you don't need them till you need them.

I tryed everythin else with no success so I guess I might as well try
that.

If I remove them all will windows update pick it up and re-install
them??

Do not want to screw the whole system up.

Thanks much.

From: 123Jim on

"kraut" <kraut3852(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I did the taskmanager and stopped anything that was not MS then ran
>>> msconfig and under services unchecked all non MS and restarted system
>>> in what it said was "Selective" mode and did the windows update AGAIN.
>>> It showed all suceeded. Restarted system with normal startup.
>>>
>>> Went to add / remove programs with updates showing and it showed one
>>> of the updates there (KB979909) but not the other (KB982168).
>>>
>>> Went back to Windows updates and it showed both KB979909 & KB982168 as
>>> being DLed but needing to be installed even though add / remove
>>> programs showed KB979909 as being installed.
>>>
>>> I GIVE UP!!! I am pulling what little hair I have out!!!
>>>

>>Did you try removing .NET in Add Remove programs? there's probably
>>framework 2, 3 maybe 3.5, remove them all .. You need not reinstall them
>>until you need them . You probably have a program or two that needs them.
>>..
>>eventually .. the risk is that those programs might just behave broken,
>>and
>>may not be programmed to warn of missing .NET frameworks.. but as long as
>>you keep that in mind . you don't need them till you need them.
>>

> I tryed everythin else with no success so I guess I might as well try
> that.
>
> If I remove them all will windows update pick it up and re-install
> them??
>
> Do not want to screw the whole system up.

Unfortunately you need to download and re-install the .Net frameworks
yourself .. as it is unlikely Windows will do that automatically until some
program needs it .. see the links here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
In that webpage there's a link to a .Net Cleanup Utility. The link is
broken, but it can be found here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Cleanup Utility looks like something to try ~only if~ removing the .Net
frameworks in Add/remove programs does not work.

Reboot and then Download and re-install the .NET components (Follow the
re-install advice (with download links) in the first webpage above.)