From: ECLiPSE 2002 on

Last Tuesday's windows update appears to have been faulty - not all of
the updates installed; specifically Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows
Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and
Windows XP (KB979906).

After several tries with the same outcome..."unable to install
updates" I am wondering whether these two updates are important;
moreover, I cannot get rid of the "Updates are ready for your
computer, click here to install these updates" icon in my system tray.

Anyone else having a similar experience? Any fixes available?

Mary
From: 123Jim on

"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> Last Tuesday's windows update appears to have been faulty - not all of
> the updates installed; specifically Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
> and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows
> Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and
> Windows XP (KB979906).
>
> After several tries with the same outcome..."unable to install
> updates" I am wondering whether these two updates are important;
> moreover, I cannot get rid of the "Updates are ready for your
> computer, click here to install these updates" icon in my system tray.
>
> Anyone else having a similar experience? Any fixes available?

This is happening often to many people lately..
go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
Use the 'fixit'
( .. downloaded but not yet installed updates are cleared and the updates
process is reset)
You will find that the uninstalled updates need to be downloaded again ..
but it all happens in the usual automatic way

From: Twayne on
In news:hv5a56$h0v$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
123Jim <jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> typed:
> "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Last Tuesday's windows update appears to have been faulty
>> - not all of the updates installed; specifically Microsoft
>> .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security
>> Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows
>> XP x86 (KB979909) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for
>> Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906).
>>
>> After several tries with the same outcome..."unable to
>> install updates" I am wondering whether these two updates
>> are important; moreover, I cannot get rid of the "Updates
>> are ready for your computer, click here to install these
>> updates" icon in my system tray. Anyone else having a similar experience?
>> Any fixes
>> available?

OP: Since you're currently operating without them, you could "probably" do
without them, but that's not a recommended course of action. You could
install a program that needs them or even an update down the road could
require them.

> This is happening often to many people lately..
> go here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
> Use the 'fixit'
> ( .. downloaded but not yet installed updates are cleared
> and the updates process is reset)
> You will find that the uninstalled updates need to be
> downloaded again .. but it all happens in the usual
> automatic way

XP Pro XP3 here and no problems like that here at least. I don't know what
the pattern is for that problem but I have heard of it from reliable sources
including the KBs at MS. I've only seen it once on a customer's machine and
in that case it was file corruption. Assuming that's the ONLY file
corruption causing any problems anywhere, the KB would probably suffice.
Better than doing a manual reinstall if you don't have to, that's for sure.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: 123Jim on

"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:hv5a56$h0v$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> 123Jim <jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> typed:
>> "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Last Tuesday's windows update appears to have been faulty
>>> - not all of the updates installed; specifically Microsoft
>>> .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security
>>> Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows
>>> XP x86 (KB979909) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for
>>> Windows 2000 and Windows XP (KB979906).
>>>
>>> After several tries with the same outcome..."unable to
>>> install updates" I am wondering whether these two updates
>>> are important; moreover, I cannot get rid of the "Updates
>>> are ready for your computer, click here to install these
>>> updates" icon in my system tray. Anyone else having a similar
>>> experience? Any fixes
>>> available?
>
> OP: Since you're currently operating without them, you could "probably" do
> without them, but that's not a recommended course of action. You could
> install a program that needs them or even an update down the road could
> require them.

Do without security updates for .NET ? ..
I don't think so .. if windows update says you need security updates, then
you need it! obey the computer :)

From: kraut on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:17:24 +0100, "123Jim"
<jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:

>> Last Tuesday's windows update appears to have been faulty - not all of
>> the updates installed; specifically Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
>> and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows
>> Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)
>> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows 2000 and
>> Windows XP (KB979906).
>>
>> After several tries with the same outcome..."unable to install
>> updates" I am wondering whether these two updates are important;
>> moreover, I cannot get rid of the "Updates are ready for your
>> computer, click here to install these updates" icon in my system tray.
>>
>> Anyone else having a similar experience? Any fixes available?
>>

>This is happening often to many people lately..
>go here:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>Use the 'fixit'
>( .. downloaded but not yet installed updates are cleared and the updates
>process is reset)
>You will find that the uninstalled updates need to be downloaded again ..
>but it all happens in the usual automatic way

When I go to install the updates kb979909 and kb982168 it always show
as being successful when it is not. Next time they show up again but
says they have been downloaded but need to be installed.

I was wondering where the downloads from windows update are stored on
the system (What directory).

Maybe if we could delete the download and redownload they might
install properly.

TIA