From: ECLiPSE 2002 on

123Jim,

Like Kraut, I have tried the suggestions outlined here without success
- in my case it is KB 979909 and 979906 that fail to install as
identified in my initial post.

Your comment about removing the .net files in Add/Remove is my last
hope. I find Microsoft.net Frameworks 1.1, 2.0,3.0 and 3.5 each has
one or more KBs or Hotfixes,etc.

Questions:
Should all the .nets and their associated KBs and hot fixes, etc be
removed as suggested to Kraut? If yes, will I get a popup telling me
to install these one or more of these .nets if a windows program
requires it in the future?

Thanks for all your patience and input,

Mary

From: Shenan Stanley on
> Should all the .nets and their associated KBs and hot fixes, etc be
> removed as suggested to Kraut? If yes, will I get a popup telling me
> to install these one or more of these .nets if a windows program
> requires it in the future?

Yes. Yes.

But you will be reinstalling everyone of them if you do things correctly
anyway - not just uninstalling to uninstall.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: kraut on

>>>Did you try removing .NET in Add Remove programs? there's probably
>>>framework 2, 3 maybe 3.5, remove them all .. You need not reinstall them
>>>until you need them . You probably have a program or two that needs them.
>>>..
>>>eventually .. the risk is that those programs might just behave broken,
>>>and
>>>may not be programmed to warn of missing .NET frameworks.. but as long as
>>>you keep that in mind . you don't need them till you need them.
>>>

>> I tryed everythin else with no success so I guess I might as well try
>> that.
>>
>> If I remove them all will windows update pick it up and re-install
>> them??
>>
>> Do not want to screw the whole system up.
>>

>Unfortunately you need to download and re-install the .Net frameworks
>yourself .. as it is unlikely Windows will do that automatically until some
>program needs it .. see the links here:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
>In that webpage there's a link to a .Net Cleanup Utility. The link is
>broken, but it can be found here:
>http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx
>
>Cleanup Utility looks like something to try ~only if~ removing the .Net
>frameworks in Add/remove programs does not work.
>
>Reboot and then Download and re-install the .NET components (Follow the
>re-install advice (with download links) in the first webpage above.)

Just a couple more questions.

Setting here reading all these post I thought "What about rolling
system back to a restore point before I started having all this
trouble". Would that work? Then let update install the updates as if
they were never installed before.

Plus a question I asked that never got answered was where on my system
are the updates stored when DLed before installed? Since Windows
updates says the updates are DLed waiting to be installed I thought
maybe deleted the DLed one in case there is something wrong with them
and re-DLing them again.

Just a couple thoughts. Opinions please.

From: 123Jim on

"kraut" <kraut3852(a)yahoo.comg> wrote in message

>>> I tryed everythin else with no success so I guess I might as well try
>>> that.
>>>
>>> If I remove them all will windows update pick it up and re-install
>>> them??
>>>
>>> Do not want to screw the whole system up.
>>>

>>Unfortunately you need to download and re-install the .Net frameworks
>>yourself .. as it is unlikely Windows will do that automatically until
>>some
>>program needs it .. see the links here:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
>>In that webpage there's a link to a .Net Cleanup Utility. The link is
>>broken, but it can be found here:
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx
>>
>>Cleanup Utility looks like something to try ~only if~ removing the .Net
>>frameworks in Add/remove programs does not work.
>>
>>Reboot and then Download and re-install the .NET components (Follow the
>>re-install advice (with download links) in the first webpage above.)
>>

> Just a couple more questions.
>
> Setting here reading all these post I thought "What about rolling
> system back to a restore point before I started having all this
> trouble". Would that work? Then let update install the updates as if
> they were never installed before.

I don't think rolling back the system will work, unless you can roll back to
a time before you installed the .Net frameworks. It is unlikley you a have
restore point that far back.

> Plus a question I asked that never got answered was where on my system
> are the updates stored when DLed before installed? Since Windows
> updates says the updates are DLed waiting to be installed I thought
> maybe deleted the DLed one in case there is something wrong with them
> and re-DLing them again.
>
> Just a couple thoughts. Opinions please.

Remember what the Fixit does .. it deletes all of the downloads that are not
yet installed ..
If you are curious: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\
Delete everything in there if you like .. it should do no harm .. (at least
one file can't be deleted as it will be in use)

From: kraut on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:36:10 +0100, "123Jim"
<jnkjnjnini(a)uhnuhnunuhnuy.invalid> wrote:

>> Setting here reading all these post I thought "What about rolling
>> system back to a restore point before I started having all this
>> trouble". Would that work? Then let update install the updates as if
>> they were never installed before.
>
>I don't think rolling back the system will work, unless you can roll back to
>a time before you installed the .Net frameworks. It is unlikley you a have
>restore point that far back.
>

>> Plus a question I asked that never got answered was where on my system
>> are the updates stored when DLed before installed? Since Windows
>> updates says the updates are DLed waiting to be installed I thought
>> maybe deleted the DLed one in case there is something wrong with them
>> and re-DLing them again.
>>
>> Just a couple thoughts. Opinions please.
>>

>Remember what the Fixit does .. it deletes all of the downloads that are not
>yet installed ..
>If you are curious: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\
>Delete everything in there if you like .. it should do no harm .. (at least
>one file can't be deleted as it will be in use)

Thanks for reply. Was just wondering.