From: funkenstein on
On Jul 10, 6:57 pm, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>          Last year I had held detailed discussions in these forums, on
> the feasibility of experimental detection of absolute motion.http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro/browse_frm/thread/e24d067ec6...
> Subsequently I compiled a formal paper titled "Proposed experiment for
> detection of absolute motion" and submitted to Physics Essays (An
> International Journal dedicated to fundamental questions in Physics)
> for publication. After a detailed peer review, this paper has now been
> published in this journal [http://www.physicsessays.com/]. The
> abstract of this paper is reproduced below.
>
>                  "According to special theory of relativity, all motion is relative
> and existence of any privileged or absolute inertial frame of
> reference, which could be practically distinguished from all other
> inertial frames, is ruled out. However, we may define an absolute or
> universal reference frame as the one which is at rest with respect to
> the center of mass of the universe and assume the speed c of
> propagation of light to be an isotropic universal constant in that
> frame.

Greetings. I'm still confused by your definition of this reference
frame. Center of mass of what? By "universe" do you mean your
forward and back light cones? The set of all possible observable
masses where the observer is you? A Universal set is not permitted in
Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory. Even if you could somehow define this
"universal rest frame" in a consistent way, it is unclear to me what
effect it would have on the propagation of light.

From: JT on
On 12 Juli, 01:27, "Socratis" <socra...(a)alice.it> wrote:
> [...]
> > space. The blue you see in daylight is scattered sunlight. It is scattered
> > by dust. At night you will be in the Earth's shadow, and if your view is
> > clear (no clouds) you'll see stars. As you turn, you'll see the stars
> > cross
> > the sky until you turn toward the Sun. Then it will be dawn, and as you
> > watch, you'll turn with the Earth and the Sun will appear to rise in the
> > sky
> > and then set in the west, but it is really not moving at all, you are as
> > you
> > ride the Earth. Thus the Sun crossing the sky is RELATIVE motion. There is
> > no absolute motion. Go outside and look up until you understand you are on
> > merry-go-round called Earth and the universe is standing still while *you*
> > are moving. Pick any star, then look where it is every hour of the night.
> > Do
> > this at least once in your life. I've done it many times, as do all
> > amateur
> > astronomers. If you get bored, do some night fishing. Be alone with Nature
> > for company, for just one night. You may get to like it,  I know I do.. Get
> > away from city lights, get away from people anywhere and enjoy the
> > universe
> > you live in the way that people did before there was such a thing as
> > electricity to spoil the glory of the heavens. I can't do it for you, only
> > you can do it for yourself. If you have some impediment that prevents you,
> > overcome it. I don't know you or anything about you, I can only suggest
> > you
> > learn to live alone for one night without TV, radio or people telling you
> > what to do, how to think. Listen to the insects, look at the sky, catch a
> > fish. Do not light a fire, stay in the dark and *see*.
>
> Unfortunately, this is a typical answer that ignores the basic question.  It
> seems to me that rotation proves that absolute motion exists, and I
> can't seem to find a coherent explanation otherwise.  When something
> is rotating, objects on it and part of it are forced to the outside by
> something we typically call 'centrifugal force', a term I'm aware is
> controversial.  When something isn't rotating, objects on that
> something don't experience that 'force'.
>
> Please, if you know of a coherent way of explaining this, point me
> to it and I'll try to understand it, because I want to understand it.
> If you're tired of typing, just point me to a link.
> I and many others realize there are a lot of smart physicists who
> state there is no absolute motion, and many laymen who are
> directly aware that a rotating object is quite different from a
> non-rotating object.  Unlike the speed of light issues (which
> all make sense to me) the difference between rotating and
> non-rotating objects can be experienced by anyone, providing
> compelling and immediate evidence that absolute motion exists.- Dölj citerad text -

I also find your questions interesting i do not know anything about
physic but to me it seem like the centrifugal and centripetal force
only is adjacent when you have rotation within a gravitational field.
So rotational forces is the result of a body trying to break out from
the ruling gravitational field.

A ship in deepspace rotating at a 100 000 RPM versus earth will put no
strain or forces upon the inhabitants nor the ship..........
It is only when the ship get close to a big gravitational body the g-
forces will start to act upon both ship and its inhabitants.

This could all be wrong, but then there probably is a centra of
gravity in the universe so absolute rotation can be measured even in
deep space far away from gravitational attractors.

JT
From: Painius on
"NoEinstein" <noeinstein(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message...
On Jul 13, 2:50 am, "Painius" <starswirlern...(a)maol.com> wrote:

Dear Painus: Access to links��some close to three years old��is
Google's problem, not mine. I have copies of any post you would like
to see. I'll send you a copy. But I won't make New Posts on the same
subjects, because Google might fix the problem. � NoEinstein �

P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A P I T A

Never mind.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Indelibly yours,
Paine Ellsworth

P.S. "What you do makes a difference, and you only need
to decide what kind of difference you want to make."

P.P.S.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Paine_Ellsworth

From: Craig Markwardt on
On Jul 10, 12:57 pm, GSS <gurcharn_san...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Friends,
>          Last year I had held detailed discussions in these forums, on
> the feasibility of experimental detection of absolute motion.http://groups.google.com/group/sci.astro/browse_frm/thread/e24d067ec6...
> Subsequently I compiled a formal paper titled "Proposed experiment for
> detection of absolute motion" and submitted to Physics Essays (An
> International Journal dedicated to fundamental questions in Physics)
> for publication. After a detailed peer review, this paper has now been
> published in this journal [http://www.physicsessays.com/]. The
> abstract of this paper is reproduced below.

This paper is an example of poor refereeing by the reviewer and also
your own neglect of criticism that occurred in the previous thread.
As noted by Mark L. Ferguson now - and myself a year ago - you have
assumed something which is not SR as your starting point, and thus,
your conclusions are irrelevant regarding SR. Your fundamental error
is that you assumed that somehow the clocks attached to the moving
"spacecraft" were simultaneously synchronized in the spacecraft frame
and a "universal" frame. Since this is impossible in SR, your
conclusions are invalid. Even a marginally knowledgable reviewer
should have picked up on this.

The irony is that your paper does attempt to derive the up- and down-
link times using the principles of SR in section 2, but then you
immediately discard the results because it does not provide the answer
you desire. The truth is that - assuming the principles of SR - the
up- and down-link times *will* be different as measured by observers
co-moving in two different frames with their own co-moving clocks. In
fact, by exchanging up- and down-link timing information after the
observations were taken, the two observers could estimate their
relative velocity. But this is not a measurement of "absolute"
motion. That is, unless you could have already placed one observer at
"absolute rest" before the experiment started, which presupposes what
you are trying to measure in the first place. This was noted one year
ago, but you ignored it.

The real title of your paper should be, "Proposed experiment for
detection of absolute motion ASSUMING THAT NEWTONIAN RELATIVITY IS
TRUE". But since we know that Newtonian relativity is not true based
on so many other experiments, the conclusions of the paper are not
relevant. I am sorry that the refereeing system failed in this case.

CM
From: NoEinstein on
On Jul 14, 5:51 am, JT <jonas.thornv...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear JT: You preface by saying that you know nothing about physics.
Then, you claim that physical rotating a space ship 10,000 RPM won't
impose stress on the occupants. So, you prove your own point: You
don't know anything about physics! The laws of physics don't require
closeness to mass for their existence. In most likelihood, every
person on your spaceship would be dead, from draining their blood from
their brain, or stopping their heart because of the compressive forces
put on the bodies. The best way for you to learn physics is to
observe what happens in real life. Put a rat in a cage and spin it
10K rpm, and the rat dies. Of course that same thing will happen
halfway between galaxies. — NoEinstein —