From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Feb 13, 12:50 am, Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Feb 13, 12:37 am, "Bill Yanaire, ESQ" <b...(a)yanaire.org> wrote:
>
> > "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hi,
> > > The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS).
> > > I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a
> > > guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
> > > for Windows to get infected by virus ?
>
> > No -
>
> Great !

In one of my earlier replies,
It should not be 'Great !'. It should be 'Strange ! ?'

> > Make sure you have a good antivirus program on your Windows OS.
>
> > > If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism
> > > to recover it from Host OS(Linux) ?
> > > Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows
> > > from linux ? Any ideas ?
>
> > It's best not to use Linux at all if you can help it.
>
> But, Why ?
>
> I need few applications that run in linux and few
> applications on windows. But, since windows
> is more prone to virus , i am planning to have
> internet connection on linux(Host OS).
>

> > > I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and
> > > Windows Vista as Guest OS and either
> > > Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).

Karthik Balaguru

From: ToddAndMargo on

On 02/12/2010 11:36 AM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
> Hi,
> The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS).
> I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a
> guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
> for Windows to get infected by virus ?

Yes. Same way as always. Surf with IE, etc..
To be safe, do no eMail or surfing from a
Windows guest. Firefox and Thunderbird work
very well in Linux. And, the guest will need
a firewall. you can use iptables in Linux, if
you pass traffic through Linux before it gets to
your guest (bridge networking). Remember
you can create a virtual network card (eth0.5) to
force your internet traffic through iptables.

> If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism
> to recover it from Host OS(Linux) ?
> Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows
> from linux ? Any ideas ?

Yes. Your guest OS is just a large file to your
host OS. Backup your guest image. Or, if using
Virtual Box, backup your entire ~/.virtualbox
directory. Keep lots of copies and restore
to a previous date.

> I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and
> Windows Vista as Guest OS and either
> Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).

I use Virtual Box with CenOS as host.
Guest: Xp, Vista, W7, others.

Vista is horriale as a guest. Xp and W7 as
well behaved.

From: ray on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:58:31 -0800, Karthik Balaguru wrote:

> On Feb 13, 12:37 am, "Bill Yanaire, ESQ" <b...(a)yanaire.org> wrote:
>> "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Hi,
>> > The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS). I am just eager to
>> > know if i have Windows as a guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less
>> > possible for Windows to get infected by virus ?
>>
>> No - Make sure you have a good antivirus program on your Windows OS.
>
> Do you mean to say that windows will get infected even if it runs as a
> guest OS on linux OS ? Strange !!
>

>> > If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism to recover it from Host
>> > OS(Linux) ?
>> > Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows from linux ? Any ideas
>> > ?
>>
>> It's best not to use Linux at all if you can help it.
>>

>> > I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and Windows Vista as Guest OS
>> > and either
>> > Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).
>>

> Karthik Balaguru

Main problem here is that bill knows absolutely nothing about Linux. He's
simply one of the MS shills who badmouth Linux at every opportunity.
From: Frank on
ray wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:58:31 -0800, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
>
>> On Feb 13, 12:37 am, "Bill Yanaire, ESQ" <b...(a)yanaire.org> wrote:
>>> "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> No - Make sure you have a good antivirus program on your Windows OS.
>> Do you mean to say that windows will get infected even if it runs as a
>> guest OS on linux OS ? Strange !!

>>> It's best not to use Linux at all if you can help it.

>> Karthik Balaguru
>
> Main problem here is that bill knows absolutely nothing about Linux. He's
> simply one of the MS shills who badmouth Linux at every opportunity.

Main problem here is that ray knows absolutely nothing about Windows.
He's simply one of the linux shills who badmouth Windows at every
opportunity.
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:36:18 -0500, Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS).
> I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a
> guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
> for Windows to get infected by virus ?

Using VirtualBox, I have xp running as a guest under
Mandriva linux, with the network setup as a bridged
adapter on eth0.

The guest gets it's own ip address, and the packets
going to/from the guest, do not pass through the
linux firewall.

From the point of view of the guest os, it's as if it
had it's own real network interface card, so it's just
as susceptible to network attacks, as it would be if
running on native hardware.

As with any m$ software, make sure it's protected by
a properly configured router.

> If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism
> to recover it from Host OS(Linux) ?

It works the same as it would, when running on native
hardware. You change the settings to boot from the
windows install cd (or an iso image of one), and then
repair the installation.

If you have enough disk space, you can make backup
copies of the virtual hard drive, that you can then
use to restore an old copy, similar to making a ghost
backup, when using native hardware.

> Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows
> from linux ? Any ideas ?

Not really. You can tell from the host whether it's
chewing up i/o, cpu, etc, but that's about it.

> I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and
> Windows Vista as Guest OS and either
> Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).

I've found VirtualBox intuitive to setup, and easy
to use. For proper usb support, you should use the
version downloaded directly from www.virtualbox.org,
rather then distribution provided Open Source
Edition packages.

Regards, Dave Hodgins