From: The Natural Philosopher on
Karthik Balaguru wrote:
> On Feb 13, 12:37 am, "Bill Yanaire, ESQ" <b...(a)yanaire.org> wrote:
>> "Karthik Balaguru" <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi,
>>> The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS).
>>> I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a
>>> guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
>>> for Windows to get infected by virus ?
>> No - Make sure you have a good antivirus program on your Windows OS.
>
> Do you mean to say that windows will get infected
> even if it runs as a guest OS on linux OS ?
> Strange !!

Of course. It's effectively a standalone machine. Running on some
curious hardware..
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Frank wrote:
> one of the linux shills

Shilling for who precisely?

who after all, will pay him to do that?
From: ray on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:36:18 -0800, Karthik Balaguru wrote:

> Hi,
> The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS). I am just eager to know
> if i have Windows as a guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
> for Windows to get infected by virus ?
>
> If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism to recover it from Host
> OS(Linux) ?
> Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows from linux ? Any ideas ?
>
> I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and Windows Vista as Guest OS and
> either
> Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).
>
> Thx in advans,
> Karthik Balaguru

You'd probably get better answers in a virtualization related group.
Since you specifically mentioned vmware, you might try something like:
vmware.for-linux.general.
From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Feb 13, 1:13 am, "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodg...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:36:18 -0500, Karthik Balaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS).
> > I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a
> > guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
> > for Windows to get infected by virus ?
>
> Using VirtualBox, I have xp running as a guest under
> Mandriva linux, with the network setup as a bridged
> adapter on eth0.
>
> The guest gets it's own ip address, and the packets
> going to/from the guest, do not pass through the
> linux firewall.

Okay.
Another possible thought is disabling the
internet support in the guest OS. But that would
be blocking the applications that are running on
the guest OS to access internet. :-(

>  From the point of view of the guest os, it's as if it
> had it's own real network interface card, so it's just
> as susceptible to network attacks, as it would be if
> running on native hardware.
>
> As with any m$ software, make sure it's protected by
> a properly configured router.

Okay, but it is strange that there is no mechanism/tricks
in VirtualBox/Vmware to make the packets to flow
through the host OS to the guest OS ?

> > If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism
> > to recover it from Host OS(Linux) ?
>
> It works the same as it would, when running on native
> hardware.  You change the settings to boot from the
> windows install cd (or an iso image of one), and then
> repair the installation.
>
> If you have enough disk space, you can make backup
> copies of the virtual hard drive, that you can then
> use to restore an old copy, similar to making a ghost
> backup, when using native hardware.

I think, this is the best option.

> > Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows
> > from linux ? Any ideas ?
>
> Not really.  You can tell from the host whether it's
> chewing up i/o, cpu, etc, but that's about it.

Okay.

> > I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and
> > Windows Vista as Guest OS and either
> > Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).
>
> I've found VirtualBox intuitive to setup, and easy
> to use.  For proper usb support, you should use the
> version downloaded directly fromwww.virtualbox.org,
> rather then distribution provided Open Source
> Edition packages.

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: Karthik Balaguru on
On Feb 13, 12:59 am, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMa...(a)invalid.com> wrote:
> On 02/12/2010 11:36 AM, Karthik Balaguru wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > The internet connection is in Linux (Host OS).
> > I am just eager to know if i have Windows as a
> > guest OS on Host OS(Linux), is it less possible
> > for Windows to get infected by virus ?
>
> Yes.  Same way as always.  Surf with IE, etc..
> To be safe, do no eMail or surfing from a
> Windows guest.  Firefox and Thunderbird work
> very well in Linux.

But, this would be blocking the applications
running on guest OS to access internet :-(

> And, the guest will need
> a firewall.  you can use iptables in Linux, if
> you pass traffic through Linux before it gets to
> your guest (bridge networking).  Remember
> you can create a virtual network card (eth0.5) to
> force your internet traffic through iptables.

Interesting. Great !!
Need to check the mechanism to pass the
traffic through the host OS(Linux) to
guest OS (bridge networking) and the virtual
network card to force internet traffic through
iptables in VirtualBox / Vmware.

> > If Windows crashes, is there a mechanism
> > to recover it from Host OS(Linux) ?
> > Also, is there any mechanism to debug windows
> > from linux ? Any ideas ?
>
> Yes.  Your guest OS is just a large file to your
> host OS.  Backup your guest image.  Or, if using
> Virtual Box, backup your entire ~/.virtualbox
> directory.  Keep lots of copies and restore
> to a previous date.

Okay.

> > I am planning to use Ubuntu as Host OS and
> > Windows Vista as Guest OS and either
> > Vmware or VirtualBox (Virtual machines).
>
> I use Virtual Box with CenOS as host.
> Guest: Xp, Vista, W7, others.
>
> Vista is horriale as a guest.  Xp and W7 as
> well behaved.

Karthik Balaguru