From: Rich on
John Pollard wrote:
> Charliec wrote:
>
>>See answers below.
>>

>>>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 01:54:15 GMT, "John Pollard"
>>><invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote:

>>>It's not clear from anything you have said that you have a
>>>real
>>>problem. Why did you Validate in the first place? Did the
>>>"problem" you attempted to solve, remain?
>>
>>I Validated because I was going through the Year-End
>>procedures
>>(Archiving older transactions) and Quicken would freeze and
>>stop
>>responding. I did finally leave it in the "not responding"
>>mode for
>>awhile and it did finally complete.

>>>Try a super-Validate. Backup first.
>>
>>I did a super-Validate after the Validate and it did not
>>indicate
>>anything. I have been able to complete my Year-End routine.
>>******************************************************
>

> It's my understanding that part of the Validate process can not
> complete when there are accounts enabled for online service. If
> that is involved in your problem, the only way out is to
> deactivating *all* accounts (though you might want to try
> deactivating just the one(s) that do online billpay, for
> starters) for online access ("transaction download" and
> "billpay"), then do your Validate. One risk is that when you
> re-enable those accounts for online access again, you may get
> some (many?) duplicate transactions downloaded. Another reason
> to test in a copy of your data first.

I'm not saying that's incorrect but I have validated & super validated
with online activation enabled on all accounts & the validation process
completed with no errors.
Rich
From: Charliec on
Thanks Hank,
Your item 2 of making a copy of the database apparently did the trick.
Ofter the copy, I validated the copied database, and the validate
completed normally with no errors. I compared the copied data to my
original data and everything looks good.

I'm now using the copied database.
Thanks again.
Charlie

>On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:34:40 -0500, "Hank Arnold" <rasilon(a)aol.com> wrote:

>Ack!!! You most likely *do* have a database problem..... I'd do the
>following (as usual, make sure you do this on a copy of the db):
>
>1) If you keep backups of the database, try going back and see if you can do
>a validate w/o errors. If you can, you might want to consider re-entering
>the newer transactions.
>
>2) use the Q interface to make a copy of the database. This might possibly
>"fix" things. If *that* fail, then you *really* have a problem!
>
>3) Try the "Super Validate" process. **DO NOT DO THIS ON THE ORIGINAL DB. DO
>IT ON A COPY!!!**. You will want to do a thorough comparison of the
>validated vs. the original.
Charliec
From: John Pollard on
Rich wrote:
> I'm not saying that's incorrect but I have validated & super
> validated
> with online activation enabled on all accounts & the
> validation
> process completed with no errors.

That would not contradict anything I said.

If you have corruption related to online activities (generally,
data stored in the .qel file), chances are you must disable your
accounts before Quicken can fix the problems. If you don't have
such corruption, no deactivation of online services is necessary
to successfully validate.

--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com

From: CWGilley on
Have never had any problems with validating. Usually do one after the
Year-End Start A New File procedure. Will sometimes get a message about
removing transactions not in the register, but no other errors. On-line
status of activated accounts has never been even considered.

Tell me what a Super-Validate is.

--

Clayton
30d 28' 51" N

From: John Pollard on
CWGilley wrote:
> Have never had any problems with validating. Usually do one
> after the
> Year-End Start A New File procedure. Will sometimes get a
> message
> about removing transactions not in the register, but no other
> errors.
> On-line status of activated accounts has never been even
> considered.

There would be nothing to tell you that you would have gotten
different results if you had deactivated before Validating.

> Tell me what a Super-Validate is.

Hold down CTRL+SHIFT from just before you click "Validate" until
Quicken tells you it is super-validating.