From: gordito995 on
My bank only provides .qif files for on line bill pay transactions. Does
anyone know if there is a good free (or very inexpensive) converter that
converts .qif to .ofx transactions? This is for Quicken 2010 with Windows 7.

I have gone looking but don't find anything satisfactory yet.

Thanks,

Gordon

From: John Pollard on
gordito995(a)teranews.com wrote:
> My bank only provides .qif files for on line bill pay transactions.

Get a new bank.

[By the way: QIF files can't begin to deal with online bill pay
transaction instructions. But, after online billpay instructions are
executed ... there is no difference in the result of those transactions,
and any other transactions.]

--
John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Laura on
gordito995(a)teranews.com wrote:
> My bank only provides .qif files for on line bill pay transactions. Does
> anyone know if there is a good free (or very inexpensive) converter that
> converts .qif to .ofx transactions? This is for Quicken 2010 with
> Windows 7.
>
> I have gone looking but don't find anything satisfactory yet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon

Here's one that does what you are looking for:
http://www.bigredconsulting.com/aboutofxwriter.htm

It costs $59 but may be worth it.
From: J Anthony Clapham on

"gordito995(a)teranews.com" <none(a)phony.net> wrote in message
> My bank only provides .qif files for on line bill pay transactions. Does
> anyone know if there is a good free (or very inexpensive) converter that
> converts .qif to .ofx transactions? This is for Quicken 2010 with Windows
> 7.
>
> I have gone looking but don't find anything satisfactory yet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon
What I did for a while is set up a 'dummy' asset a/c and import the qif to
that, then move them to the correct bank a/c.
I have Q2007 and I am moving to Moneydance which handles all file import
types.

From: Art McClinton on
Steve Jordi responded to a similar question on March 10th.
I assume you do not really want to convert to OFX (or QFX) but you just want
to import the data. Converting to OFX format requires that you know the
transaction number.

From Steve's previous post. Which I am using for a couple of credit cards:

You can import QIF files to ANY account, but you must first
edit them to change the header.
It's a trick as a workaround.

I guess that you need this in order to be able to import your QIF
files into all of your accounts in Quicken.
This latter refuses to do so for saving, checking, credit card
accounts etc. Isn't it?

If I'm correct, qfx is a licensed format from Intuit and you have to
pay $$$ if you want the specifications.

The workaround to still be able to work with QIF files is to simply
modify their headers.

ADD The Following to the HEAD of the QIF file

The date format of each transaction should also be MM/DD/YYYY

As an example, if you have an account called "My American Express
Gold" that would give
!Account
NMy American Express Gold
TCCard
^

Or a bank account called "My savings"
!Account
NMy savings
TBank
^

For the type next to the "T" you have the following options:
Bank, CCard, or Invst

Next to the "N" you add your account name

Actually you even can be more detailed by adding extra information:
Field Indicator Explanation
N Name
T Account type (Bank, CCard, Invst)
L Credit limit (for credit cards)