From: KGT on
On Sep 25, 8:02 am, "Arny Krueger" <ar...(a)hotpop.com> wrote:
> "Tom Ginkel" <tgin...(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message

> > I hate to be a pest, but I am considering spending a LOT
> > of money on the highly-touted QSC K-series speakers.  I
> > am an elderly guitar player that fancies himself still
> > capable of rocking, yet no longer capable of humping
> > enormous speakers.
> > As I Google reviews I see DJs positively slobbering about
> > the things.  Their claims seem to defy all that I've
> > leaned about sound vs. size over my 40 years of
> > musicianing.  I have no reference point for live bands. I play small bars,
> > yet I want to be obnoxiously loud
> > enough to keep people from sitting around and pissing and
> > moaning about their jobs.
> > I really could use some counsel here before parting with
> > $3K.  Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Things have come along way since the first JBL EONs for us aging
weekend warriors.
My EON G2s has seen 6 yrs of SERIOUS abuse including hitting the road
at 40mph & landing in a ditch!
AFAIK they contain Asian SMT switching amps and Non field repairable
drivers. Mine still work as if New.
I can venture to say the K series sounds MUCH better than the EONs.
JBL is not "Warfedale" and Neither is QSC ...... Besides George Loves
them!
From: Ron on
KGT wrote:
> On Sep 25, 8:02 am, "Arny Krueger" <ar...(a)hotpop.com> wrote:
>> "Tom Ginkel" <tgin...(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message

>>> I hate to be a pest, but I am considering spending a LOT
>>> of money on the highly-touted QSC K-series speakers. I
>>> am an elderly guitar player that fancies himself still
>>> capable of rocking, yet no longer capable of humping
>>> enormous speakers.
>>> As I Google reviews I see DJs positively slobbering about
>>> the things. Their claims seem to defy all that I've
>>> leaned about sound vs. size over my 40 years of
>>> musicianing. I have no reference point for live bands. I play small bars,
>>> yet I want to be obnoxiously loud
>>> enough to keep people from sitting around and pissing and
>>> moaning about their jobs.
>>> I really could use some counsel here before parting with
>>> $3K. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
>>
> Things have come along way since the first JBL EONs for us aging
> weekend warriors.
> My EON G2s has seen 6 yrs of SERIOUS abuse including hitting the road
> at 40mph & landing in a ditch!
> AFAIK they contain Asian SMT switching amps and Non field repairable
> drivers. Mine still work as if New.
> I can venture to say the K series sounds MUCH better than the EONs.
> JBL is not "Warfedale" and Neither is QSC ...... Besides George Loves
> them!

I might just raise my head above the parapet and venture that almost
anything sounds better than an EON (the 10`s aren't bad mind). I`m sure
the OP will be very happy with the QSC`s.

Btw, some of the more expensive Wharfedale stuff uses very nice dual
concentric drivers with decent plywood cabinets and sound rather good,
this is reflected in the price.

Ron(UK)
From: Phildo on

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message

<snip>

I would ignore anything Arny says. After all, giving the recent debacle
where he claimed to know more about a range of crown amps than the
manufacturer did themselves his opinions are not worth paying attention to.

Phildo

From: McSteve on
"Phildo" wrote:
> I would ignore anything Arny says.

I'll second that. Just about anything he posts is the result of
a Google search, when it comes to actual live sound info.
He has virtually no hands-on experience in the field.

I have had him on my "ignore" list for at least two years.
(He's alone on that list)
He contributes nothing worthwhile, and suffers from a few
mental disorders.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Tim Perry on

"Tom Ginkel" <tginkel(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message
>I hate to be a pest, but I am considering spending a LOT of money on the
>highly-touted QSC K-series speakers. I am an elderly guitar player that
>fancies himself still capable of rocking, yet no longer capable of humping
>enormous speakers.
>
> As I Google reviews I see DJs positively slobbering about the things.
> Their claims seem to defy all that I've leaned about sound vs. size over
> my 40 years of musicianing. I have no reference point for live bands. I
> play small bars, yet I want to be obnoxiously loud enough to keep people
> from sitting around and pissing and moaning about their jobs.
>
> I really could use some counsel here before parting with $3K. Am I
> barking up the wrong tree?
>
> Tom

Tom, I have by now fairly extensive experience with the K-subs. they have
performed satisfactorily in both indoor and outdoor settings. They were used
last week at a benefit, outdoors, which featured 6 local country bands. This
was part of a dual PA system where I handled acoustic drums and monitor mix
and the other system handled everything else.
it was pushed pretty hard. My active tops were in overload for the first
time but the subs as far as I could tell never hit limit.
crowd was about 4 to 5 hundred. We raised $11,000 for a lady who was in a
motorcycle accident.

The week before they saw duty at a street festival. They handled everything
from polka to African drums to salsa.

I typically put 2 K-subs together and the mid highs on stands. I like the
sound I get with them when my crossover is set for 90 Hz.

The biggest downside so far is that the handles are poorly designed. If 2
people try to carry them using the handles it tends to break the back of
your hand.

I worked a benefit 3 weeks ago with K-10's over K-Subs on poles. outdoor,
classic rock. also used k-10 as monitors.
This system used the dbx Driverack PX. The entire sound system was
transported in a Jeep.

The K-Subs have the advantage of quicker set up, lighter weight, smaller
size in the trailer, no amp rack. The wheels stay on and do not vibrate. The
locking power connector is a cool feature too. In addition I can leave a
whole bin of speaker cables behind.

I would suggest getting the JBL covers or some other brand of cover to
protect the finish while moving/transporting.

So far I have no regrets with them and I am considering getting K-12's

So if you want to retire the old earthquakes... maybe give these a try.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: XENYX XL2400?
Next: FS LS9/32 5500$