From: Phildo on

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message

There now follows a quick translation from Arnyspeak into English.

> I suspect they are very good, mostly because QSC is a good company and
> making very good equipment (for the price) is what they do.

"I don't actually know anything about the product in question but I thought
I'd answer anyway because I like seeing my name come up on the screen."

> Externally, the QSC speakers seem to be good system components with
> provisions for daisy-chaining and remote controlling gain, that
> competitive products from Harmon lacked the last time I looked at them.

"I've never heard the product in question and know nothing about it other
than what I can see on their website"

> I conference with one of the QSC principals elsewhere, and the behavior
> and reputation of these people is very fine.

"I read the posts by someone who works for QSC on another forum although I
have to be careful what I post there because they banned me once already"

> From a technical standpoint, the QSC K-series products are essentially
> pigs in pokes because of the absence of good acoustical specifications
> along the lines of what one can readily obtain for competitive speakers
> from say, Electrovoice.

"The website didn't have much information on the product".

> OTOH, EV doesn't seem to have powered speakers that compete head-to-head
> across the line with the QSC K series. OTOH EV has several similar
> products with 15" woofers that don't seem to have any competition in the
> K-series.

"I can use google and find the EV and QSC websites"

> As far as our esteemed colleague's rant about the country of origin, the
> use of SMT components, and reliance on purpose-built drivers; well that's
> how things are near the end of the first decade of the new millennium. I
> can't see any point to paying a premium for equipment built in places
> where labor costs are maxed out (e.g. most of Europe), leaded components,
> and standard drivers that may not be optimum for the application.

"I buy Chinese made products because they're cheap"

> As far as the pricing goes, methinks that too many people are judging
> price based on equipment that used to be dismissed because it was
> obviously intended for occasional use and probable early destruction by
> substance abusing pseudo technicians, careless teenagers (as opposed to
> the other kind), and other people who haven't matured yet.

"I'm really bitter that I never got to be a real sound engineer and it
shines through in every post I make. I am also a complete fruitcake"

> Manufacturers like Behringer have done a lot to advance the quality and
> performance levels of such things, but it is still not the same as
> well-designed quality equipment sold for well-above minimum prices.

"I like to state the obvious and hope people think I actually know what I am
talking about when I have no live sound skills whatsoever"

Phildo

From: Tom Ginkel on
Thanks Tim. I was afraid the thread was going to degenerate into another
squabble amongst our esteemed friends.

From: Rupert on
On Sep 26, 12:29 pm, "Tom Ginkel" <tgin...(a)mchsi.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tim.  I was afraid the thread was going to degenerate into another
> squabble amongst our esteemed friends.

They day is young ;-)
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "Tom Ginkel"
>>
>>I hate to be a pest, but I am considering spending a LOT of money on the
>>highly-touted QSC K-series speakers. I am an elderly guitar player that
>>fancies himself still capable of rocking, yet no longer capable of humping
>>enormous speakers.
>>
>> As I Google reviews I see DJs positively slobbering about the things.
>
> ** Do slobbering DJs normally impress you with their competence in the
> world of audio ??
>

>> Their claims seem to defy all that I've leaned about sound vs. size over
>> my 40 years of musicianing.
>

> ** See above.
>
>> I have no reference point for live bands. I play small bars, yet I want
>> to be obnoxiously loud enough to keep people from sitting around and
>> pissing and moaning about their jobs.
>>
>> I really could use some counsel here before parting with $3K. Am I
>> barking up the wrong tree?
>

> ** Consider what QSC have done in order to produce these lightweight, high
> powered speakers.
>
> 1. Used switching power supplies and switching amplifiers made in China
> employing tiny and unrepairable SMD componentry.
>
> 2. Used Chinese made speakers with no pedigree and also non repairable.
>
> 3. Used a minimum size, Chinese made plastic box to enclose the lot.
>
> 4. Provide a sub woofer to go with the puny main boxes, made exactly the
> same unrepairable way, just so you can get a usable amount of bass.
>
> I have a very similar product to the QSC K series sitting next to me as I
> post - a " Wharfedale" Titan 12 Active, about 2 years old. It is an all
> Chinese design too, lightweight with switching amps and PSU.
>
> http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/TITANACTIVE/TITAN12ACTIVE/tabid/181/Default.aspx
>
> The 12 inch woofer is burnt to a crisp and the driving amp is dead -
> repair is deemed quite uneconomic.
>
> Before you invest in anything like the K series - you gotta ask yourself
> the famous question that Clint Eastwood asked that unfortunate punk he was
> pointing his huge gun at.
>

> .... Phil

hmmmm 2 years , the QSC would still have another 4 years on it's warrenttee
at that point
GTeorge

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Tom Ginkel" <tginkel(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message
>I hate to be a pest, but I am considering spending a LOT of money on the
>highly-touted QSC K-series speakers. I am an elderly guitar player that
>fancies himself still capable of rocking, yet no longer capable of humping
>enormous speakers.

Tom , you would need to spend several times the cost of the k SERIES in
order to buy a better powered box
and yes as with all plastic boxes, get the cases or they will be cosmeticaly
ruined in short order
but they sound great and come with 6 years warrentee
George

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: XENYX XL2400?