From: Phil Allison on

"George's Pro Sound Co."

> "Phil Allison" "Tom Ginkel"
>>
>>> As I Google reviews I see DJs positively slobbering about the things.
>>
>> ** Do slobbering DJs normally impress you with their competence in the
>> world of audio ??
>>

>>> Their claims seem to defy all that I've leaned about sound vs. size over
>>> my 40 years of musicianing.
>>

>> ** See above.
>>
>>> I have no reference point for live bands. I play small bars, yet I want
>>> to be obnoxiously loud enough to keep people from sitting around and
>>> pissing and moaning about their jobs.
>>>
>>> I really could use some counsel here before parting with $3K. Am I
>>> barking up the wrong tree?
>>

>> ** Consider what QSC have done in order to produce these lightweight,
>> high powered speakers.
>>
>> 1. Used switching power supplies and switching amplifiers made in China
>> employing tiny and unrepairable SMD componentry.
>>
>> 2. Used Chinese made speakers with no pedigree and also non repairable.
>>
>> 3. Used a minimum size, Chinese made plastic box to enclose the lot.
>>
>> 4. Provide a sub woofer to go with the puny main boxes, made exactly the
>> same unrepairable way, just so you can get a usable amount of bass.
>>
>> I have a very similar product to the QSC K series sitting next to me as I
>> post - a " Wharfedale" Titan 12 Active, about 2 years old. It is an
>> all Chinese design too, lightweight with switching amps and PSU.
>>
>> http://www.wharfedalepro.com/Home/Products/POWEREDLOUDSPEAKERS/TITANACTIVE/TITAN12ACTIVE/tabid/181/Default.aspx
>>
>> The 12 inch woofer is burnt to a crisp and the driving amp is dead -
>> repair is deemed quite uneconomic.
>>
>> Before you invest in anything like the K series - you gotta ask yourself
>> the famous question that Clint Eastwood asked that unfortunate punk he
>> was pointing his huge gun at.
>>

> hmmmm 2 years , the QSC would still have another 4 years on it's
> warrenttee at that point

** Be of no use whatsoever.

The QSC "extended warranty " is little more than a marketing scam.

http://www.qscaudio.com/registration/statement/statement.htm

" This warranty provides that the examination of the return product must
indicate, in our judgment, a manufacturing defect. This warranty does not
extend to any product which has been subjected to misuse, neglect, accident,
improper installation, ... "

A bass drivers with voice coil burnt to a crisp after two years in a disco
does not qualify as a " manufacturing defect " .

The amp failed BECAUSE the burnt coil impedance dropped to 1 ohm.

Warranty is simply non applicable.

The economics of repair and the availability of any special spares years
into the future is the issue.

Forget that with Chinese made junk.

..... Phil

From: Ron on
George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
> "Tom Ginkel" <tginkel(a)mchsi.com> wrote in message
>> I hate to be a pest, but I am considering spending a LOT of money on the
>> highly-touted QSC K-series speakers. I am an elderly guitar player that
>> fancies himself still capable of rocking, yet no longer capable of humping
>> enormous speakers.
>

> Tom , you would need to spend several times the cost of the k SERIES in
> order to buy a better powered box
> and yes as with all plastic boxes, get the cases or they will be cosmeticaly
> ruined in short order
> but they sound great and come with 6 years warrentee
> George

I hope they are very substantial cases. My local wholesaler has just
started stocking the K series and �97 for the K12 'tote case', �115 for
the Ksub 'cover' seems a lot of money. They do look tasty tho.

Ron(UK)
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: XENYX XL2400?