From: Peter Foldes on
Install SP3 to answer your question

--
Peter

From: Hickory on
This is really frustrating. What are you suggesting by that reply.
Won't anyone just answer the question?
I have some very old software that I really depend on; I am happy with the
system I have (albeit there are some issues, of course); I do not like to
download/upgrade/whatever software unless I know what is being changed.

Well, thanks anyway.

From: Daave on
Hickory wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP
> (SP2). I have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.
> However, sometimes it is turned back on (and I am not doing it
> manually). My question -- Does anyone have any ideas how QoS might
> get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or whatever.
>
> So, why do I care? Sending an email with a large attachment is
> sometimes VERY, VERY slow. For example, I have a 1mb file (not all
> that big) I send as an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes. If
> I disable QoS, sending the same email is at least 10 times faster.
> But, QoS somehow keeps getting re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

You need to change the Startup type from Automatic to Manual:

Start | Run | type "services.msc" (without the quotation marks) | OK

Double-click QoS RSVP

If the service has been started, click the Stop button.

For Startup Type, select Manual

Click OK.

Also, I agree with PA Bear with regard to your SP level. Support for SP2
ends this spring. You should definitely upgrade to SP3 (which will be
supported through 2014). When you are ready to do so, post back for
guidance since there are certain precautions you need to take before
upgrading, and we weill be happy to provide guidance.

From: Jose on
On Jan 15, 5:01 pm, Hickory <Hick...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).  I
> have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run.  However, sometimes it is
> turned back on (and I am not doing it manually).  My question -- Does anyone
> have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
> whatever.
>
> So, why do I care?  Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
> VERY, VERY slow.  For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
> an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes.  If I disable QoS, sending the
> same email is at least 10 times faster.  But, QoS somehow keeps getting
> re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

If you set the QoS Service to manual (you did not say), that does not
keep some "QoS Aware" application from starting it if it thinks it
need to. There are many rumors about QoS but you will have to
research to see if you are using Qos Aware applications that may be
starting it behind your back. It is certainly on my list of Services
to disable.

Setting it to manual does not equal disable.

If you disable it, you will only be able to start it from Services.
Nobody (including you) should be able to start it - even from a CMD
prompts. Try it.

From Services, stop Qos and set it manual and then, from a command
prompt enter:

net start rsvp

It will start and tell you so. Stop the service and set it to
Disabled and you will not be able to start it again.

If you disable it and you find it started, there will be an System
Event Log message that it started and that that will give you clues.
It would be most curious.

To stop the service manually,

net stop rsvp
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Repost: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 10 July 2010 until SP3 is
installed.

@anonymous: <bite me>