From: Hickory on
My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2). I
have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run. However, sometimes it is
turned back on (and I am not doing it manually). My question -- Does anyone
have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
whatever.

So, why do I care? Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
VERY, VERY slow. For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes. If I disable QoS, sending the
same email is at least 10 times faster. But, QoS somehow keeps getting
re-enabled.

Any ideas will be really appreciated.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
I'll answer your question with a question: Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 10 July 2010 until SP3 is
installed.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: ANONYMOUS on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> I'll answer your question with a question: Why isn't SP3 installed yet?

Because he doesn't trust nutters like you forcing him to do things he
doesn't want.

> Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
> security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and
> Windows Update website will not be available after 10 July 2010 until
> SP3 is installed.

What has this got to do with OP's question?

From: ANONYMOUS on
Hickory wrote:

>My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2). I
>have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run. However, sometimes it is
>turned back on (and I am not doing it manually). My question -- Does anyone
>have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server or
>whatever.
>
>So, why do I care? Sending an email with a large attachment is sometimes
>VERY, VERY slow. For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I send as
>an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes. If I disable QoS, sending the
>same email is at least 10 times faster. But, QoS somehow keeps getting
>re-enabled.
>
>Any ideas will be really appreciated.

You do need QoS RSVP if you are still using Windows Wireless Control
rather than your Wireless manufacturer's own software. I use M$ so I
have got it in my Win XP SP3.

You can rename the file rsvp.exe which is found in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvp.exe

hth
From: Hickory on
PA Bear is not a nutter (I've seen some good answers from him). BUT, your
conclusion is correct that the reply has nothing to do with the original
problem.

But, again, my question actually is "Does anyone know what might re-enable
QoS RSVP?" Are you suggesting that, by renaming rsvp.exe, that it can't get
turned on? Also, I am not using any wireless.

Many thanks