From: Jose on
On Jan 17, 4:37 pm, Hickory <Hick...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Jose, PA Bear and Daave --
>
> For Jose, I am using Outlook Express 6.  I do not "know" that I need
> DrTCP021.  I only know someone on this forum about a year ago suggested it
> and that sometimes, it temporarily fixes the problem.  Since it supposedly is
> only a GUI for setting registry values, I can not "see" any thang that is
> being done.  (That's why I asked if anyone knew what entries were being
> changed.)  I have done several tests at, for example, DSLReports.com.  Just
> this morning, I got (download/upload) 1254/165, the executed DrTCP021 with no
> reboot, then ran the test again and got 1157/324.  I can't begin to explain
> this.
>
> For PA Bear, I have on many occassions turned off email scanning, either
> outgoing only or both incoming/outgoing.  It seems to make almost no
> difference -- too little to make any real conclusions.
>
> For Daave, I believe I am being very specific when I set QoS in
> services.msc.  There are only 3 possibilities.  I am setting it to Disabled.
> I agree that nothing should be able to turn it on.  If I set it to Manual,
> wouldn't that allow some software to then, in fact, enable it?
>
> You are all trying to help -- I really appreciate it.
>

> "Daave" wrote:
> > Hickory wrote:
> > > Thanks to Daave and Jose.
>
> > > I have always Disabled QoS RSVP, never set it to Manual.
>
> > Set it to Manual then. :-)
>
> > That is the default setting for this service.
>
> > Also, it is important not to confuse stopping a service with disabling a
> > service.
>
> > So, make sure it is stopped. Then set it to Manual. AFAIK, only if the
> > startup type is Automatic, will something be able to trip it to the On
> > posistion. Setting the type to Disabled should prevent it from running
> > whatsoever -- even if you issue a command for it to do so.
>
> > If you indeed *did* set the Startup Type to Disabled *and* if it later
> > became enabled and started running, I would surely suspect malware.
>
> > Also, PA Bear raised a good point regarding e-mail scanning.
>
> > .

After you set it to Disabled, you need to try to figure out (later of
course) what turns it on again.

Disable it, send an email that you you think might be a problem, see
it it is running, etc. You need to experiment.

Have you looked in the Event Log to see when the service is being
turned on? Then you may have some idea as to what you were doing at
the time.

You know - a message like this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
The QoS RSVP service entered the running state.

What happens around the time of that message?

From: Hickory on
Thank you. What and where is the Event Log? You answer seems rather
reasonable.

On the other hand, I am not sure that QoS is the problem. This morning as a
further test, I did the following. QoS RSVP is still Disbabled from two days
ago.
1) Sent an email with my test 1mb attachment to myself. It ran very slow.
After a few minutes, it failed and the submission was lost -- the message was
not sent.
2) Executed DrTCP021 with NO changes and saved.
3) Sent the same email. It was transmitted about ten times faster and
succeeded.
4) Rebooted.
5) Sent the same email. Again, it was very slow and failed.

Since (supposedly) DrTCP021 is only a GUI to set certain values in the
register, how is this even possible. This makes absolutely no sense. The
only thing I can think of is that OE6 is looking at the register EACH time it
is started. But, even that does not make sense.

And, by the way, if email scanning was the whole or even part of the
problem, why would the transmission be fast even when scanning is turned on?

From: Daave on
Answers inline.

Hickory wrote:
> Thank you. What and where is the Event Log? You answer seems rather
> reasonable.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then select Event Viewer.

> On the other hand, I am not sure that QoS is the problem. This
> morning as a further test, I did the following. QoS RSVP is still
> Disbabled from two days ago.

I tend to agree that your problem is caused by something else. Then
again, I would like to know what is causing this service to start up in
the first place. If it is disabled, it should *never* do this! That is
why I thought malware might be involved.

> 1) Sent an email with my test 1mb attachment to myself. It ran very
> slow. After a few minutes, it failed and the submission was lost --
> the message was not sent.
> 2) Executed DrTCP021 with NO changes and saved.
> 3) Sent the same email. It was transmitted about ten times faster and
> succeeded.
> 4) Rebooted.
> 5) Sent the same email. Again, it was very slow and failed.
>
> Since (supposedly) DrTCP021 is only a GUI to set certain values in the
> register, how is this even possible. This makes absolutely no sense.
> The only thing I can think of is that OE6 is looking at the register
> EACH time it is started. But, even that does not make sense.

It is a mystery!

> And, by the way, if email scanning was the whole or even part of the
> problem, why would the transmission be fast even when scanning is
> turned on?

Good point. But there might be an intermittent problem with the
scanning. I would turn it off completely. Who knows? Perhaps that's all
you need to do to solve your problem!

BTW, If you set the QoS Service to Manual, it should *not* allow some
software to trip it (that is what the Automatic setting is for). If you
choose Manual, that means that in order for the service to run, you
would need to start it manually.

From: Hickory on
Many thanks to ALL of you. This is still not resolved. But all of your
comments are helpful and give me more things to try. Yes, this is a real
mystery. (Maybe I should just feed the gremlins more often!)

From: brikeh on

Hickory;1165757 Wrote:
> My understanding is that this service is no longer needed in XP (SP2).
> have disabled this using "services.msc" under Run. However, sometimes
> it is
> turned back on (and I am not doing it manually). My question -- Does
> anyone
> have any ideas how QoS might get re-enabled -- any software, ISP server
> or
> whatever.
>
> So, why do I care? Sending an email with a large attachment is
> sometimes
> VERY, VERY slow. For example, I have a 1mb file (not all that big) I
> send as
> an attachment and it takes up to ten minutes. If I disable QoS,
> sending the
> same email is at least 10 times faster. But, QoS somehow keeps getting
>
> re-enabled.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated.

Some of us may find that after installing Windows XP, the Internet
connection gets slower. A possible reason for this is the QoS (Quality
of Service) installed. This service reserves 20 per cent of the
bandwidth for itself, even with QoS disabled. In order to remove this
reserved quota, you will have to make sure you are logged on as
Administrator. Go to Start > Run and type gpedit.msc. Expand the local
computer policy branch, the administrative templates branch, and the
network branch. Highlight the QoS Packet Scheduler in the left window
and in the right window double-click the limit reservable bandwidth
setting. Then, on the Setting tab, check the enabled item and change the
Bandwidth limit % to read 0. After doing this, you should immediately
notice a boost in your Internet connection speed.

You also need to verify that QOS packet scheduler is enabled in your
network connection properties done by going to control panel > network
connections > right click on your connection > properties > check mark
for QOS.