From: Arny Krueger on
"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> A quick search online shows that the purchase of the 8
> channels of Shure UR4D/UR1 wireless systems will cost
> over $17,000. Shure has a rebate/trade-in for new
> purchases to replace 700 MHz Shure systems. That would
> amount to $4,000. It will still be a major purchase for a
> non-profit company struggling from budget cutbacks.

We're running 6 channels of Shure SLX and 2 channels of AT 3000 for a total
of 8 systems at church.

Out-of-pocket for receivers and transmitters was about $3500.

I don't know how many shows per week your theatre are running, or how long
you expect the systems to last.

But, you don't need top-of-the-line equipment to get 8 channels working
together well. If money is a problem...

From: Denny Strauser on
Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> A quick search online shows that the purchase of the 8
>> channels of Shure UR4D/UR1 wireless systems will cost
>> over $17,000. Shure has a rebate/trade-in for new
>> purchases to replace 700 MHz Shure systems. That would
>> amount to $4,000. It will still be a major purchase for a
>> non-profit company struggling from budget cutbacks.
>
> We're running 6 channels of Shure SLX and 2 channels of AT 3000 for a total
> of 8 systems at church.
>
> Out-of-pocket for receivers and transmitters was about $3500.
>
> I don't know how many shows per week your theatre are running, or how long
> you expect the systems to last.
>
> But, you don't need top-of-the-line equipment to get 8 channels working
> together well. If money is a problem...

They run 7+ shows per week. The theatre is in it's 29th year, so I would
expect that they would be making a product-lifetime purchase.

The Audio Technica 5000 series would be a similar price to Shure, when
rebate is taken into account. When working with Squonk Opera, we
purchased 6 used AT-5000 series for $500 per channel, without mics. I
liked the Audio Technica, except for the body pack mic connectors. AT
has a collar that slides too easily to disconnect. It is easy to
accidentally unplug a mic during a costume change.

One thing I do like about Audio Technica is the screw-in antennas. An
antenna can be replaced easily, if damaged. But this ease of replacement
makes the susceptible to being unscrewed accidentally. I made sure to
check them every day.

The theater's lavalier mics already have Shure connectors. They could
purchase adapters, but that would be another failure point to be
concerned with.

The Shure UR1 can transmit at 50mW, or even 100mW. The lower level Shure
& AT can only transmit 30-35mW.

- Denny
From: Arny Krueger on
> Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:hv69os$k5i$1(a)news.eternal-september.org
>>
>>> A quick search online shows that the purchase of the 8
>>> channels of Shure UR4D/UR1 wireless systems will cost
>>> over $17,000. Shure has a rebate/trade-in for new
>>> purchases to replace 700 MHz Shure systems. That would
>>> amount to $4,000. It will still be a major purchase for
>>> a non-profit company struggling from budget cutbacks.
>>
>> We're running 6 channels of Shure SLX and 2 channels of
>> AT 3000 for a total of 8 systems at church.
>>
>> Out-of-pocket for receivers and transmitters was about
>> $3500. I don't know how many shows per week your theatre are
>> running, or how long you expect the systems to last.
>>
>> But, you don't need top-of-the-line equipment to get 8
>> channels working together well. If money is a problem...
>
> They run 7+ shows per week. The theatre is in it's 29th
> year, so I would expect that they would be making a
> product-lifetime purchase.

The good news is that many say that another frequency reassignment like we
just experienced might take another 20 years to come together.

> The Audio Technica 5000 series would be a similar price
> to Shure, when rebate is taken into account. When working
> with Squonk Opera, we purchased 6 used AT-5000 series for
> $500 per channel, without mics. I liked the Audio
> Technica, except for the body pack mic connectors. AT has
> a collar that slides too easily to disconnect. It is easy
> to accidentally unplug a mic during a costume change.

Comparing the AT 3000s to the Shure SLX I would generally prefer the Shures.
We obtained the 2 ATs so that we could share the receiver between headset
and handheld mics. I subsequently found out about the Rat Sound Audix
adaptors for Shure handheld wireless bodies.

> One thing I do like about Audio Technica is the screw-in
> antennas. An antenna can be replaced easily, if damaged.
> But this ease of replacement makes the susceptible to
> being unscrewed accidentally. I made sure to check them
> every day.
> The theater's lavalier mics already have Shure
> connectors. They could purchase adapters, but that would
> be another failure point to be concerned with.

Our wireless mic stable is almost entirely composed of Countryman E6s, which
can be converted without adding more parts or connectors to the system.

> The Shure UR1 can transmit at 50mW, or even 100mW. The
> lower level Shure & AT can only transmit 30-35mW.

Based on my experience with Wifi gear that runs at higher power levels than
standard, 5 dB more power can be a signficiant advantage.

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 14/06/2010 20:22, in article hv5s1t$l0d$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones/

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: Phildo on

> I quote:
> "Some wireless microphones (and similar devices) are marked with the
> frequency the device uses. If information on the device indicates that it
> operates on frequencies between 698 and 806 MHz, then the device uses 700
> MHz spectrum and may not be used after June 12, 2010."

It was all scheduled to happen here until someone let the authorities know
that the 2012 olympics could not go ahead as such things as walkie-talkies
etc wouldn't be available for use.

All of a sudden everything is on hold until after 2012.

Phildo

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: US angry about Chinese markets...